Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 376 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Mia
    Ex-h is refusing to have anything to do with DYS now that ds is in, saying it's a waste of time and resources. Hello!? It's free! He won't do our telephone conference but expects me to take notes to feed back to him, which he'll then poo-poo anyway.
    ((hugs)) Mia,
    See if you can get your family consultant to be the one who takes notes and sends them to him via email - perhaps that will get you out of the middle of things a bit. Also, request a phone consult with Sylvia Rimm on how to co-parent with your XH, if that's still a possiblity - she is really good with 'modern realities.'

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Mia Offline
    Ooh, thank you, Grin, I'll do that! I never would have thought to ask the consultant to send notes on. Thank you!!

He's just sooo frustrating... The kid may be well-parented grin, but I do believe there's just a *bit* more to it! crazy

Mia
    Mia,
    Does XH have any special interest that overlap with education? It is possible that he is having the same gifted denial that you and I had years ago...or that he's being difficult just to be difficult. Again, having him spend time with normal children is one way out. Harder to arrange from a distance.

I remember all while I was growing up, my Mom making 'little comments' about 'how stupid the game companies were to write the wrong ages on the 'suggested playing ages' on game like Monopoly. Gifted denial starts early, we learn it from our loved ones, and dies hard. What were his parent's attitudes towards intellectual differences?

Best Wishes,
    Grinity

Mia Offline
    Grin-- I pm'd you. smile

Mia
    Congrats on DYS!!

Acceptance to DYS went along way with the gifted denial around here. My DP when "hit over the head" by the pros, relented and admitted that DS6 is not your average little boy.

Now she's completely freaked out that he grow up "as normal" as possible. Since every movie she's ever seen portrays gifties as functional wierdos...

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Gotta love those stereotypes...NOT!

Kriston
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    Now she's completely freaked out that he grow up "as normal" as possible. Since every movie she's ever seen portrays gifties as functional wierdos...

Unless she is very young, I imagine that she has seen plenty of other groups portrayed as weirdos in movies as well? I'm still waiting for the gifted eqivalent of Ellen Degenerous and Mellissa Ethridge to 'come out' as having grown up gifted and underchallenged in school and being openly lovable while showing the uniquness of their mind. I think that we are less than 10 years away - would anyone like to start a betting pool on who will step forward and show that a person can be totally brillient, totally lovable, and not one bit wierd?

Hmmm...Well, I don't fit the bill!

I'm certainly weird, I'm not always very lovable, and I'd never call myself brilliant...

I did grow up GT and I'm happy and reasonably well-adjusted. Think that would do?

Kriston
    Q
    Q
    Bianc850,

I'm so happy to hear that things have improved.

Last edited by questions; 02/16/09 06:42 PM.
    I think that my point was, that if a group of people grows up thinking that they are 'different in a bad way' then they grow up to act this out, and even if they don't - the media will portray that they do. It's what the media does.

Take the same group, surround them with love, understanding, positive role models and what they need for a healthy self-image (some social time with mental peers and challenging academics in the case of Gifties) and they grow up with the same challenges as anyone else and their own unique and valuable strengths.

We happen to live in a society where members of a group don't feel 'validated' until there is a popular movie, a TV show, and a couple of celebrities that share the identity. Now that's what I call weird! ((wink))

Grinity

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM