Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Thank you all. Say, Dottie, can you explain further? He once seemed to be gifted in math but now is a nervous wreck trying to find ten bears on a page. Will he still do well? How would you recommend bringing up his confidence and his skills? I appreciate ANY information you can give me.

Originally Posted by giftedticcyhyper
    We did it to save money. Private school starts at 10K where I live. The stress public school has caused us has not been worth the savings. Huge huge huge mistake and it won't happen again. Just trying to get through the rest of the year.

Hi gifted-tic-cyhyper - Welcome (and what does your name stand for ???)

I would say that 'trying to get through the rest of the year' is a questionable goal. There is noting wrong with midyear gradeskips or emergency homeschooling if needed (which it sounds like it is!)

This is also a golden opportinity to try out that fancy private school at a 'pro-rated' price to see if it's going to work for him. You didn't say so, but I'll bet a nickle that the reason you didn't go with the 10K school is that you had no faith that they would do a better job, yes? This time of year is great if they will take him, and you should definitly play the sympathy card, because then you can try it without committing to the whole 10 K, see what I mean?

Love and More Love,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I would suggest getting your child evaluated by someone who specializes in GT kids as they can also support you as a parent and help you make decisions.

Many private schools will provide scholarships and do acceleration. You have to ask. Many private schools are just as bad as public ones.

An acquaintance was told by the top school district in my area that they could not help him with his DD6, so he went the eval route which gave him a lot of info. They settled on a private school in the area - they help his family with tuition.

He did not even look into the one public gifted program in the area that would have placed his child with others like her and then radically advanced them as a group. He was done with public schools. Finished.

A coworker is now going the same route with his DS6 who can do 3 x 3 digit multiplication in his head. He is also upset with the Public Schools as well.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Grinity,

The name describes DS6: gifted, ticcy and hyper. Hee, hee!

Your advice is great. I just met with the psychologist who's going to give him the WISC and WJ and I am thrilled. She totally knows what she's doing and wasn't phased by any of our experiences thus far, educational or developmental. On top of it, she said that she's willing to help us advocate at the school. So, that's very positive. The test is early March.

DS has lost all interest in reading and math. I have to get him excited about learning again because he has totally shut down. So, I've put together an afterschool curriculum that I hope will re-ignite his engine. He has to learn that it's o.k. to be smart again before the WISC or else he's going to play dumb or be lazy. Unfortunately, he's so tired from a long day at school that he doesn't want to do more work when he comes home. So, I'm trying to decide how to resolve that. I could either ask the principal to consider diffrentiated curriculum or I could just pull him out for the remainder of the year.

His new teacher knows how to handle him and his behavior has improved. However, he's telling me that the work is still baby work. He said, "It's funny because our desks are set up like we're older kids and if anyone walked in they would think we were doing hard work but it's still just baby work...I mean, kindergarten work."

I'm not sure whether I need to wait until the results of the IQ test come in in order to begin phase two of my advocacy process (i.e. getting him harder work). What if the IQ results don't impress them? I am concerned that DS's new and improved behavior won't last much longer if we don't give him a greater challenge.

We are moving the family in April to a bigger city where there are about five different gifted magnets, which is good but it prevents me from putting him into a private school right now. Also, I don't know how I'm going to get him into a good school for next year in the big city when we are just now starting to understand what his needs are! Sorry I'm just blathering on...

K
    K
    Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
    "Yes he has, I can tell." Her husband sarcastically told me, "Everyone's kid is smart...everyone's kid is good looking, aren't they?"

This is certainly one way to find out who your friends are!

I like Dr. Sylvia Rimm's comment in a presentation, you hold a Ph.D. in your child. No one, no professional, no school adminstrator knows your child the way you do. We all, ok maybe mostly me, like to hide our heads in the sand. But stand tall momma, you know in your heart what is going on - don't let them smell fear :-)

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM