Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #37303 02/05/09 08:26 PM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My 7 year old daughter is one of the top 3 students in her 2nd grade class. She is being given challenge spelling lists from third grade and some 3rd grade math. But all this isn't enough for her. She's still bored to the point where I have trouble getting her to do her homework because she says it's too easy and there's no point if she's not getting a challenge.

I don't know what to do anymore. Her school doesn't have a program for gifted students and I am very against her skipping a grade.

Can any of you give me some advice?

Songbird21 #37305 02/05/09 10:29 PM
    Why are you very opposed to a grade skip?

Have you read "A Nation Deceived"? http://www.accelerationinstitute.org/Nation_Deceived/Default.aspx

I'd recommend it if you haven't. You may still decide not to grade skip--we chose homeschooling instead, and that has been a good solution in our particular case--but I always want people to make decisions based on evidence, not on urban myth.

There's a lot of wrong stuff out there about grade skipping. It is one valid and useful option for GT kids. If you haven't already, I strongly recommend that you read the research before you dismiss a potentially useful solution out of hand.

There are plenty of other options we could discuss: advocacy techniques to use with the teacher/principal, when and how to escalate things to mediation/lawsuit, changing schools, homeschooling, etc. But I think we need to start with why you reject grade skipping so completely.

Kriston
    Songbird21 #37333 02/06/09 11:02 AM
    X
    X
    Have you met with her teacher? Is her teacher aware of the problem?

xoxosmom #37340 02/06/09 12:26 PM
    Have you had an 'assessment' done on your daughter? Is there a professional around that you trust enough to get advice from? Is you daughter unhappy with school in other ways? Does she show 'perfectionistic behaviors' at home?

Have you considered homeschooling or changing schools?

Just Hypothetically, How would you feel if you went to the teacher, and the teacher told you: 'Your daughter needs to learn to obey me and do the homework no matter if she feels it is beneath her or not. I am the teacher and I know what is right for 2nd graders. This is the work that all 2nd graders need to be doing. If she doesn't like it, she has a problem with athority, and you had better make her do it, or she will always have a problem with athority. Besides, real life is sometimes boring, so learning to deal with being bored is a valuable life skill.'

I have not idea why I'm asking you this, but I'd love to hear your answer...

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Grinity #37352 02/06/09 01:45 PM
    Maybe you could give her more challenging spelling tests at home and see how she likes them. If you can find the right level of challenge at home, then you might make a stronger case for the teacher to provide tougher spelling lists. I'll bet you could google 5th grade or 6th grade spelling list and get a number of hits to get her started.

But I have to say, I am also curious about your strong feelings against acceleration...

Lorel #37356 02/06/09 02:13 PM
    K
    K
    I suggest scheduling a conference with the teacher. Not because your kid is super smart or the work is too easy. But your child doesn't seem happy with school and you want to explore why and talk with the the teacher about her observations and how you could work with her to hekp make the rest of the year a success.

You aren't telling her the problem. You aren't providing her the answers. You just need to conference... and go from their. Bored I think automatically puts teachers on the defense. I think a few kids claimed boredom as their bad behavior and have ruined our path for fighting of GT kids.

On two hands, I say "grade skipping is not everyone's answer" so we should not flip when someone doesn't feel it is right for their child. I also say, "grade skipping is not the big deal many think it is."

If things don't turn around and you haven't tested - testing data may help lay the foundation for another conference with adminstrators as well. Regardless of gt services.

Just my thoughts...

Songbird21 #37533 02/09/09 07:25 AM
    J
    J
    I agree with the post about reading A Nation Deceived. It is somewhat biased, but it really opened my eyes to my own preconceived notions about acceleration. It also reminded me that childhood is about learning to overcome failure and developing problem-solving skills. Middle school or high school is not the time to face the first academic challenge that you couldn't get right the first time: it's bound to destroy self-esteem. It's one of the reasons that gifted kids have higher rates of depression in high school that the rest of the teen population.
    Force your school to evaluate your daughter. We used the Iowa Acceleration Scale for our son. It uses a wide variety of tools (I.Q. tests, academic performance tests, interviews, family info, etc) to give options for acceleration, either within grade or by advancing a grade. It also asks the school for a plan to follow the student after the plan is implemented. For us, it showed us just how far above grade-level our son was in a concrete, non-parent-biased way.
    Finally, I know you are in the middle of your own problems, but these kids really need advocates in the legislative process. Drop a line to your state representative and school board to let them know that your child's needs are not being met. Many states have laws requiring schools to have G/T services. Time magazine had a great article about a year and a half ago about how the No Child Left Behind laws have decimated funding for G/T programs, and how bad the impact is. Every child in our country deserves an 'adequate and appropriate' education, including asynchronous learners.
    Good luck and trust in yourself to help your child!

jeneman #37536 02/09/09 08:12 AM
    K
    K
    Adding to the gov't approach her - and I really could be off base - but the Javits fund is established for GT. but I hear there are not a lot of applications going in for money. are schools teachers applying for the money that is out there. I ask, but I need to look into it myself. As money like that - the way things are going - is likely to evaporate. OH did you see they cut money for school building from the stimulus package but added a car benefit. HELLO? What is up with people?

jeneman #37537 02/09/09 08:16 AM
    Originally Posted by jeneman
    I agree with the post about reading A Nation Deceived. It is somewhat biased, but it really opened my eyes to my own preconceived notions about acceleration.

I don't think "A Nation Deceived" is biased. After all, what would anyone stand to gain from getting more kids to grade skip?

The only reason for a group that's dedicated to GT children to encourage acceleration is if it is actually better for many GT kids, and should remain a valid choice. That is the definition of "not biased" in my book!

Kriston
    Kriston #37567 02/09/09 02:30 PM
    K
    K
    I think the claim holds if you assume the report is saying accereleration is the perfect answer, in all, for all. It is neither claiming it is the right answer for all nor promoting it for non-gt reasons.

I wonder if there is a report or a book that proves the most effective practices for dumbing kids down... Wouldn't that be funny if you took a completely serious approach to writing about your kids educational experience and promote the claim "x" practices will help ensure lack of performance or achievement and therefore better societial fit :-)

I have to go rescue polly pockets from the rapidly growing salt crystals growing out of the mine because of sediment rush (in other words - there are dolls under the beds and I promised to play too). At least here - you all know the first line in this paragraph is not from my imagination but from my ears...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM