Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    LOL! I think Isa just gave us the answer to ride under the radar. I say we all move to foreign countries that speak another language. Of course how long we can stay really depends on how fast our kids pick up the language. 6 mths, 1 yr? sigh. really thought that was it!

But momofgtboys the Old Navy shirt story is funny. I remember those shirts. How dare it actually be true!

Originally Posted by Jen74
    Along those lines, does anyone else find themselves in an awkward position when your kid says anything out of the ordinary? Once, at a friend's birthday party, my DD-then-not-quite 2 said, "I'm full. Can I be excused?" in completely non-little-kid articulation. One of the other moms looked at me and said, "Must be nice to be a teacher and have all that time in the summer to work with your kid." As if I drilled language development with my toddler! I never know how to respond to that stuff....

Gasp!

That's a direct hit.

Sorry their feelings of guilt got in the way of their brains. Shame on them.

H
    H
    Katelyn's mom: The answer to your question is within 6 months depending on age. My family moved to Germany when I was 11 and within 6 months I was acing the tests and speaking fluently. They discontinued German lessons after 6 weeks. So I think a different solution is in order. Maybe a 51st state just for GT families?????

laugh See ... I knew I didn't have it. So what state should we take some land from? I vote Rhode Island.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    My story is always the one where my midwife said to DS7, who was then 3yo, that "Mommy has a baby in her belly" in her most condescending voice.

DS looked skeptical and concerned, looked at me as if to say "You're trusting her?" then turned back to the midwife to say, "No, she has a baby in her uterus!"

The poor woman just about fell down.

My DS8 said something like that at his age 3 checkup. We had just moved and it was his first visit with a new pediatrician. The doctor said, "I'm just going to use this little flashlight to look in your ear." DS looked at it and exclaimed, "Hey, that's an otoscope!"

The doc loved it. He is completely cool and is our all-time favorite doctor.

Val

M
    M
    Originally Posted by oneisenough
    [B]ut then I started thinking...seriously can't other 2 year olds...

I used to think that quite often. I couldn't even use milestone charts, because I always thought I was looking at the wrong one. Admittedly, my Kid-o-meter is off. In fact, it's still screwy, even now with my kids almost 5y and just turned 3y. I get myself in trouble sometimes by sharing stories that I think are "safe".

DD 25 mos. had her 2 year check up today. The paper handed to us had the following milestones on it:

Your toddler may be able to:

- Open doors, throw a ball overhand and climb stairs.
    - Speak about 20-50 words.
    - Speak in 2-3 word sentences.
    - Stack 5 or 6 blocks.
    - Copy adults fairly accurately.
    - Repeat what mom, dad and others say.
    - Tend not to like to share.

Does this list blow your mind?

As we were leaving, a grandmother freaked out when I said she was 2. Her grandson isn't speaking yet at 23 mos. and she had observed them playing together. Over the weekend the same thing happened when DD was a flower girl with a 23 m.o. girl - everyone was certain they were a full year apart.

seablue, I've been through the same thing with DD3. Sometimes it can be a bit embarrassing when you're in the waiting room with a child the same age or at a gathering with another same-age child. I guess I don't mean to be embarrassed, because I'm very proud of DD, but it has made me cringe when she'd do something clearly not-so-typical for her age in front of a lot of people with similar-aged children.
    I'm trying to learn that I can be proud of her even in front of other people without looking boastful or snobby. There's a fine line and it's a hard one to balance.
    I just took DD3 to her 3-yr check-up and the milestone evaluation questions kind of made me chuckle, but when I pictured my DB answering the questions about his DD3, I could see how the questions were appropriate in her case. Then again, I thought something was wrong with my niece for the longest time. Oops, she's okay, ND.

Originally Posted by seablue
    DD 25 mos. had her 2 year check up today. The paper handed to us had the following milestones on it:

Your toddler may be able to:

- Open doors, throw a ball overhand and climb stairs.
    - Speak about 20-50 words.
    - Speak in 2-3 word sentences.
    - Stack 5 or 6 blocks.
    - Copy adults fairly accurately.
    - Repeat what mom, dad and others say.
    - Tend not to like to share.

Does this list blow your mind?

As we were leaving, a grandmother freaked out when I said she was 2. Her grandson isn't speaking yet at 23 mos. and she had observed them playing together. Over the weekend the same thing happened when DD was a flower girl with a 23 m.o. girl - everyone was certain they were a full year apart.

On our 1 year checkup two weeks ago they did not even give us a list like they did at 9 mos as "it would be pointless". We recently took Mr W to a local daycare and he went around the room doing the puzzles and playing with all the toys. The teacher stopped talking several times to watch him. The items on the list they gave us for the Toddlers to move up to the 2 year olds he had already done. I took him into the 2-3 year old room and then the 3-4 year old room and the latter he seemed more interested in.

Last night I took him for a walk and showed him the moon and venus. Tonight I asked him to show me the Moon and Venus and he found both and pointed them out to me.

Gratified - you're right, I know. Not all babies develop evenly and certainly not all GT children show their GTness immediately.

Another thing from today's 2 year check up... our regular, amazing, stupendous, insightful and otherwise incredible pediatrician was not available. His sub asked, "Does she have a lot of tantrums?" I said no, not many. She said, "Oh so she's an easy child," I said no, not easy (blank stare from the ped) "she's got incredible energy," I explained. This seemed an unfathomable complaint to the ped.

Thank goodness my regular ped commented a month ago, "Your DD is going to wear you out" after he saw her recent milestone advances. I really appreciate his being understanding of our [happy] challenges.

Last edited by seablue; 02/04/09 11:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs