Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Val), 215 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by MsFriz
    I have noticed that many of the books that interest him are recommended for ages 8-12 (I'm sometimes tempted to lie to librarians that I'm getting books for his "older brother"), but still, this seems crazy.

I wouldn't worry about. DS6 goes to the librarian and asks for guidance now. The first time he did, he asked the kid's librarian for help finding a history book. She marched him over to the kid's history section, and she asked him what kind of history he wanted to read. Surprising everyone, he said Japanese history; without batting an eye, she took DS6 (DS5 then) to the normal library section and showed him where they were - explained a little dewey decimal, etc. I was embarrassed at first, sure she would think I prompted that, but she said, "you never know what they will find interesting...just let him be." A lovely experience, really.

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    M
    M
    We homeschool, just started "officially" and were considering signing Boo up for a charter/umbrella school for assessment purposes. So this thread is very timely for us!

For my family, these assessments will act as benchmarks to gage progress. Boo started the DORA. She's doing it in sections, as she only has limited access to a computer with sound. In any event, she "threw" the first section. I knew she was tired and asked her if she wanted to wait, but she insisted. And, I think she thought that part was dumb, because she perked up at the next section. I'm not too worried, as she does the items on that part of the exam consistantly already. It will skew the overall results a bit, I'm sure.

Her next lowest section is oral vocabulary. The test says a word and shows a series of pictures and the the test-taker is supposed to choose the picture that best matches the word's meaning. Pretty straight forward. Too bad the test doesn't take explainations into account. I don't want to give away any answers, but this one is too funny to pass up. The computer said, "finish" and showed several pictures. One of which was of a person lying on the ground (an athlete presumably, since there was referee and a coach-ish person nearby) another picture was of someone reading a book at a desk.

Boo chose the picture of the person at the desk. I asked her about it later. She said it was because "clearly the person reading wanted to finishreading the book, whereas, (yes she said "whereas") the runner was simply finishedand since the computer said "finish" and not "finished" the picture with book mustbe the correct one." Makes total sense! And to think I would have chosen the picture with the athlete!

Even so with an unfinished assessment (one section remaining), one section that she she "threw" and another that would have been much better if it allowed for explainations (LOL), thus far, her scores are surprising. Okay not surprising, as they are inline with where I had thought she was but...

Now, my GT deniability factor has been greatly reduced. Of course I'll still wait for the finished assessment before making a final judgement; still it's pretty clear from what I have so far that she's doing much more than an ND 4.5 year old.

That thought process alone shows GTness to me, for sure. Most 4.5yos couldn't reason things out like that.

Kriston
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    That thought process alone shows GTness to me, for sure. Most 4.5yos couldn't reason things out like that.
    That's the thing, I have no idea what *most* 4.5 year olds can/cannot do. I expect things like that to be typical for her age peers, given the vast range of time considered normal to acquire a variety of skills. (What I mean is that the range of time for a child to gain a particular skill can vary from months to years between children and still be in the ND range. Right? I can't think of anything specific, at the moment.) It gets me into trouble; I figure that other kids her age can do it, too. Really, I'm clueless. I've read the developmental charts. Still I find myself often clueless re: abilities of kids, in general.

I have a screwy kidometer. On the one hand I find myself perplexed when a child acts in a typically age appropriate way, e.g. a 2 year old screaming instead of using words to convey displeasure. By the same token, when some one says, "Can you believe a 9 year old is doing Calculus?!" (Shock! Horror!) I say, "Oh sure, that makes total sense." blush

Last edited by mizzoumommy; 01/30/09 12:49 AM. Reason: clarification: I fear, however, that I may have made my post muddier!
    I'm with you mizzoumommy.

I put all sorts of notes on the form the school sent home re: testing.
    "Your child does X more than a normal child his/her age."
    I love how they have "Often" "Sometimes" "Rarely" "Never"
    Um, how much time am I spending with these magical normal children to know if they come up with wacky or unusual ideas more or less often than DS?

It is all very silly that we try to define people by how they relate to other people rather than by seeing them for who they are regardless of how other people are. Don't we tell our kids this?

For me, GT means Georgia Tech.
    Well...sure, but in terms of GTness, how else can you define it but in relation to devation from the norm?

Maybe it's just a failure of imagination on my part, but I can't think of any other way.

And until schools start being capable of individualized education (i.e, when pigs fly...), then we have to have some sort of way to define these kids with special needs so that they have at least a chance of getting those needs met.

Kriston
    I gave the DORA to dd 3. She did very well on most of the assessment (scores from grade 3-7) but blew it on the spelling. She couldn't spell more than a three letter word. The report has a big red arrow that says "priority" pointing to that area. I got a kick out of that. How well do they expect three year olds to spell?

M
    M
    Boo finished one, too. It was easy for her and she did well when she, actually, *looked* at the computer screen. For the most part, her scores were pretty in line with what I expected. Interestingly, her comprehension score was a high 3rd grade, which shocked me because she finished the entire section in under 5 minutes. I logged her in, went to the restroom, and when I came out she playing in her room. I asked her, "Did you even read it?" She said that she started to, but once she saw the first set of questions she just skimmed the rest of the stories and jumped to the questions. I wonder what would have happened if she actually *stopped* to read the passages before answering the questions.

Then again, that's something I have to work with her all the time - slooowing down. She's a perfectionist and tends not to start things unless she's sure she knows it, but once she is confident, (thinks something is too easy) she rushes through it and misses things. It's clear she "gets" the concepts and can apply them and extrapolate, etc. *BUT* she makes careless mistakes, sometimes skips over important steps, etc. I figure she has time to "spiral" back and fill in gaps, as she is only 4.5 still I do worry at times.

Nah, I don't think you need to worry at this point. She's not even school age yet. If she is still making careless errors in a couple years, then you'll have reason to be concerned.

It wasn't the most engaging test by any stretch. If you're thinking about standardized testing for school or DYS any time soon, she'll likely do MUCH better interacting with a real person and not a cartoon monkey!

M
    M
    Honestly, I'm not *really* worried about it. It's just something that I have catalogued in the back of my mind for *just in case*. KWIM?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM