Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Grinity), 163 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    avenlyspray, sobadiet, MelodyLeigh, kristen508, karam2008
    11,451 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    What cracks me up is that he doesn't think of himself as "high" for 6th. That's a side benefit from both the skipping AND the great grouping he has this year. He still does extremely well in his class, but he's not so cocky about it, wink .
    We JUST had this same kind of conversation this week! DS and I were talking about his upcoming science fair and I pointed out that he's really going to have to say outright that he wrote his own little SAS program to analyze his data, because that won't be their first guess of how it happened (LOL) ...and he was like "really?" Yes, sweetie, most nine year olds do not write SAS programs for their science fair projects. You are actually unusually good at this, and "unusually" enough that most people doing their own little bits of statistics in their heads are going to come up with a much greater likelihood that you don't know it than that you do. So feel free to ramble on and on about the program - it's better than you think!

Given the choice between having to convince him he's not half bad and having to bring him down a notch from obnoxious, I'll take this... but I do wish we could settle on a happy medium. smile

Erica
    Just a reminder to everyone! We're scheduled for FEB Explore, I was asking for time estimations to get things lined up for the derby on the same day in Feb. We've got a month before GS even takes his test.

A
    az1 Offline
    A
    My DD9 took it this morning as a fourth grader. Her younger brother, who took that SCAT last month, was dying to take it as well. Who knew?

We ran from 8:30 to 11:30 at the local tech college.

Feeling pretty silly about this question, but remember our DS is only 4. So: what exactly are EXPLORE and SCAT?

Originally Posted by Dottie
    D'oh! Now what am I going to entertain myself with for the next month? Oh well, our results won't even be close for the February date, so you can still regale us with tales of his adventure then, LOL!

Erica, that's so funny and sweet all at the same time. Yes kid, really! In fact, most adults don't either, LOL!

Yes, we need entertainment! I'm already twitchy and it's at LEAST eight weeks to wait! ARGH!

I get hung up on the adults not writing SAS programs myself... LOL Even those that judge science fairs might need it spelled out in detail.... smile

Erica
    Until last week, and reading this thread, I didn't realize they could use a calculator. So I picked up a $4 calculator at Krogers!

Thanks, Dottie! A few years to wait for us, but I'll enjoy learning about it by osmosis for the time being...

BB

We got a raised eyebrow and a "oooh this one is NICE" for my TI-84+ but she didn't actually question it. I did say that it was MINE and he was just borrowing it (which is true! although he's been borrowing it all year... lol) -- I think she was a little surprised that a kid his age would be given such an expensive calculator more than she was actually concerned about it being legal.

If I were buying one just for this, I really like the TI-30X-IIS because it has a two-line display, which really REALLY helped DS with his first test... He could double-check that he entered the equation correctly because it was still on the screen. Also it's cheap - like $15. smile

Erica
    DD11 took Explore, DS13 took SAT.
    No ACT this year. I am tired!

DS will take Explore some time in Feb. at school. I am very, very curious...

Thank you Dottie for noticing that I am back !
    Greetings!!!
    My DD tells me that there are no per say vocabulary questions on the Explore. Is that so?

Last edited by Ania; 01/31/09 09:05 PM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree