Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    NCmom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you all for your responses! This is all incredibly helpful. I didn't realize so many local parents would be here, this is great! mamaandmore -- um, our neighborhood school is also said to be one of the best in the county so yes, I'd like to hear your experience just in case it's the same one. (Maybe by PM if you don't mind sharing the name of the school.)

I am still wrapping my head around the testing. When we got the results I thought "oh, 150, OK, I can understand that, mine is probably not too much lower [my parents never told me for sure]. And I did fine in public school." My friend told me that the scoring scale was different now and sent me here in case I didn't believe her (lol), so... I believe now. But part of me says "treat the child, not the number" so I guess DH and I still have some thinking to do. We didn't think he'd score that high. I guess that's part of the denial you all talk about, eh?

And many thanks to those of you with language immersion experience. I still really, really like that idea. We will just have to see.

Originally Posted by NCmom
    But part of me says "treat the child, not the number" so I guess DH and I still have some thinking to do. We didn't think he'd score that high. I guess that's part of the denial you all talk about, eh?

I would say that the vast majority of us here agree with that philosophy...It's just that the number(s) usually tell you a good bit about the child and what s/he needs in terms of challenge. Personality matters a lot. Learning style matters a lot. But regardless of factors like tht, virtually every HG+ child is going to need some sort of adaptations to a traditional school situation. The adaptations will vary according to the child, but something different is almost certainly going to be warranted to meet the child's special needs. I think it's good to know that going into all this. Forwarned is forearmed!

As for the GT denial: you're in good company! Is there anyone here who hasn't suffered at least a mild case? crazy laugh But I'll also say that the sooner you can get past it, the better you'll be doing for your child.

Time to roll up the old sleeves and get to work! grin

Kriston
    Originally Posted by BaseballDad
    One thing to know about language immersion schools is that there's a sunk cost issue: the standard recommendation is that a child needs to stay in for 5-7 years in order to maintain fluency. So if you're thinking about the language immersion school because it's an easy way for the child to become bilingual (and who wouldn't!), realize that the benefit might well not accrue if you try it for a year or two and then leave. Even if the child makes very good progress during that period. The teachers tell us, for instance, that DS speaks French as well as or better than a native child his age. But if we stopped now it's not just that he would be stuck speaking as a four year old; he might well lose it all. This is not a reason not to do it, but we're confronting now the reality that there's a strong incentive to make things work at the French school instead of up and leaving. We're hopeful that the school will be responsive to his academic needs when the time comes, and we're getting very involved. But it does give us the feeling of a bit less freedom. Well worth it, in our minds, for the advantage of a second language. But just so you know.
    BB

Wonderful illustration that a school that is labled 'Gifted' may or may not be teaching kids at a higher 'readiness level' than other school. Observation is the only way to know for sure. Talking to Admins is the worst, because they use all the same words, to mean completely different things.

I would like to say that here again, the 'rules' that apply to 95% of the population, might, or might not apply.

Smiles,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years