Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 95 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    Ya, I know i overthink things...

I was at the dentist today with dd (26.5 months) and the hygenist and dentist kept talking about her "loads of promise" etc. They were surprised that she followed directions and understood everything. I was so proud of her (I always am!), but then I started thinking...seriously can't other 2 year olds open there mouth when someone asks them to? Or look at the picture of dinosaur brushing his teeth on the wall, when told about it? The hygenist couldn't believe that my daughter told me she wanted to sit "on the fuzzy, purple chair" and then asked me where I wanted to sit.

I guess I am just having a major gifted denial moment...so much so that saying gifted denial sounds like I am bragging and admitting that she is gifted.

It is time for me to choose, or not choose a preschool for the Fall as they are filling up fast, so I have been thinking about everything a lot. I don't want to hold her back if she requires stimulation. If she is gifted do I choose a different environment...blablabla A lot of internal debates going on, and this is resulting in me overalanyzing everything!

Oh the weird looks and I can't believe she followed directions. I remember I took my DD to an eye doctor back when she was around 9 mths old. The doctor was shocked at how well she followed instructions and how much information he could get from her eyes without dilating them. His comment was something along the lines of I have been doing this for many years and have never seen a baby that followed instructions and looked straight ahead when asked and not blink and ... it went on and on but he was shocked. So now at 28 mths she absolutely can follow directions but also hold a complete conversation about why she needs to do what is asked. So I would probably be the same way with why is that so abnormal for a two year old? Then, we have the typical two year old routine of dropping a block under her play table this morning and me directing her with where it is "The block is under the table." DD looking under the other table. Me."No, under your play table." DD going to the other end of the table to look under. Me. "No DD it is right behind you turn around look down...No turn around look at the window...no the window." As you can imagine that went on for a while and just reminding me she is still a two year old. So typical two year olds do not follow instructions. (And footnote... the kiddo has been sick so probably why instructions were in one ear out the other this morning.)But it is funny sad how I just expect that my instructions should be so easy to follow and here I am getting frustrated b/c she was not getting it. May be a sign that mommy expects too much.

Originally Posted by oneisenough
    I don't want to hold her back if she requires stimulation.

Just go and observe and believe what your gut tells you. If you actually think she needs stimulation, as in having a lot of adults pointing to her and being all amazed, and having other kids here age 'not talking to her' because they can't yet talk, or don't understand the words she uses.....

If you find the right place, then sure, it could be great, but perhaps a retiree who could give one-to-one attention might be a better fit, yes?

Why do we always think that we aren't enough?

((shrug))
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    My story is always the one where my midwife said to DS7, who was then 3yo, that "Mommy has a baby in her belly" in her most condescending voice.

DS looked skeptical and concerned, looked at me as if to say "You're trusting her?" then turned back to the midwife to say, "No, she has a baby in her uterus!"

The poor woman just about fell down.

I just LOVE that story! grin

As for pre-K, no pre-K is better than the wrong one. But a good one can be fun for the child and a nice break for mom. Trust your gut! smile

Kriston
    My son used to read all of the signs, everywhere we went. Inevitably the questions would come from anyone who heard him. "How old is he"? always came first. I guess people wanted to know if he was a dwarf or something. I've tried several different tactics with dealing with peoples interest, surprise etc. but the response is generally the same. You must be tying them down and stuffing their head while no one is looking....Shame on you. My son is 6 now and gets a kick out of these situations. He'll see me struggling with my latest tactic amd start adressing me about Pascal's triangle or some other fact he pulls out. This is generally when these adults make their exits, presumably out of fear that this small person will ask them next.

I know a few people that just take the smile and nod approach and I've tried that a few times as well. We shouldn't be embarrassed to talk about how amazing these kids are, but ND adults somehow think you are attacking their children with unfair comparisons. Even if their children aren't with them!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    I think we should come up with some catchy phrase and make t-shirts up for all the parents of the GT kid. It should say something like Aptitude has no Age Criteria OR They can't learn it if their brain was not developed enough to absorb it. I know someone can come up with a better shorter phrase but still we should wear the shirts out in public for all the stares and out in out accusations we get.

And we should put some website link on the back of the shirt that the general public can go to so they can educate themselves on the GT kid.

Good luck with the preschool search. Also, don't assume an "academic" preschool will be a perfect fit. Makes sense that it might, but I've found those schools more likely to repetitively teach skills your child either knows or will learn rapidly, so that the kids can look good for K.

Most G kids will be in great shape in terms of K expectations without doing anything out of the ordinary, anyway.

I'd go play based if I had to go back and do it again. smile

We went to a bunch of trial days at several different pre-schools. I talked to my son alot about what he liked and didn't. We collectively made a choice and it worked out well. The staff was very supportive of his needs and allowed him to do things outside of the "norm" during free play.

He knew most of what was being taught, but I think in some ways it reassured him. He got to help the other kids with their letters etc and he enjoyed it.

Most pre schools will allow you to bring you child in for an hour or two to observe and "test drive" their program. You can learn alot by observing the other kids.

Whatever you choose, Good Luck!!

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Good luck with the preschool search. Also, don't assume an "academic" preschool will be a perfect fit. Makes sense that it might, but I've found those schools more likely to repetitively teach skills your child either knows or will learn rapidly, so that the kids can look good for K.

Most G kids will be in great shape in terms of K expectations without doing anything out of the ordinary, anyway.

I'd go play based if I had to go back and do it again. smile

Ditto! Half-day play-based in a mixed age class (where he was the youngest) worked well for us. If you have a child who doesn't do well with agemates, I could see play-based being a challenge if there weren't some older kids in there. But my DS7 is still friends with one boy he met n pre-K when he was 3. The boy is a year older and MG, and it is a nice fit.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by BWBShari
    My son is 6 now and gets a kick out of these situations. He'll see me struggling with my latest tactic amd start adressing me about Pascal's triangle or some other fact he pulls out. This is generally when these adults make their exits, presumably out of fear that this small person will ask them next.

ROTF LMAO! laugh

I'm so glad to read this thread... I'm in exactly the same boat. Sometimes when I feel sassy I say DD 24 mos. is really 6 years old because she was conceived 5 years before she was born, but then I have to go on to explain she was a frozen embryo, etc.

We are also looking into preschools and daycares for the fall. DD is on the waiting list for the one at the university where DH works - fingers are crossed because that one would be purrrrrrfect for our little kitten. We stopped by a month ago to see where we were on the wait list and DD excitedly grabbed the hand of a passer-by and took her on a narrated tour of the place (DD led the tour and narrated even though she'd not been there before). The passer-by happened to be the director. Hello! DD has been on the waiting list since before she was born. shocked It's overwhelming to shop around beyond that but I've started.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM