Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 123 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    S
    S
    So sorry soup. I called them the other day and got a packet in the mail. They looked good to us too (except for the fee). We are now just leaning towards going to our public school district and crossing our fingers (well...we will be slightly more proactive than that). We will just show them our testing and meet together before school hopefully and see if they can maybe subject accelerate. I am hopeful that they can subject accelerate for K and then skip first all together. Still this will have problems since our district is so split up in different buildings (k-2, 3-5, 6-8, 9-12). It's awful for gifted kids. Before my son was born I thought it was great...but not now. Interesting how perspective changes. Have you thought more about home schooling? Or what other options are you considering?

OP Offline
    wel... we are looking at 2 other elementary schools in our district. One he would definitely be able to go to they other is part of a Magnet lottery. They magnet is looking less and less appealing as they are moving it and merging it with a middle school. They are going for the k-8 trend.... which maybe good or maybe very very bad.

We are going to finally sit down and get our application done for Davidson and hope that they take him on.

We really need someone with more of a brain in there head to advocate for him.... honestly, I am not bright enough. LOL

If that doesn't work out.... I guess we will have to figure a way to home school. I have asked him about it and he really doesn't want to, he wants to be with other kids. Which is what we want for him.

Is there any homeschooling group or co-op around? Remember, homeschooling does not have to mean that "there are no other kids around." In our area, we could be with kids every single day of the week, easily!

We have DS7 in a sort of school for homeschoolers this year, so he's even in classes with kids once a week, plus he's in enrichment classes for GT kids another day of the week. Price for something like that might be an issue for you, but it's worth looking into. If you find something along those lines, it's possible you could offer to teach an art class or two in exchange for his fees.

If there is nothing like those but there is an active homeschooling community, you might consider starting something. That's what most homeschoolers do if we feel the need for more organized time for our kids to be with other kids: we just plan it! Create a game day, a Lego group, a park day, a math club--or whatever appeals to your particular child--that meets once or even twice a week.

Homeschooling does not have to mean being alone. Honest. See what's around before you decide that loneliness is your only option. You may be surprised.

Kriston
    S
    S
    I know the k-8 program you are referring to and I am not sure how that will go. I think it will be a good program overall though, and they are moving over all the same teachers from the other school. They will also be doing building renovations. The plus of a k-8 with a district is that they can move up and do more challenging work if the district allows. The school that is moving has been very successful with children...but I can't say much about gifted chidren as I am honestly not sure. There are other magnet schools in the district and while I know about them, and know people working there...I still don't know about the gifted programming. Gifted stuff is what I do outside of work (and during a quick lunch break like now). I don't think it is a matter of intelligence with advocating. It's a matter of persistence and diplomacy. And even there it is just hard sometimes because schools often don't know much about gifted children. I hope advocating is not about intelligence or I am in trouble this fall. ; )

Last edited by shellymos; 02/02/09 10:36 AM.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription
    by indigo - 09/23/24 10:02 AM