Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 245 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by jojo
    We're going thru the "too many words on a page" stage. Miss 4 is easily reading early reader books (1 sentence per page). But how do I get over the "too many words on a page" problem? She previously made the leap to simple chapter books, but has now regressed. I think she did this because of her perfectionism issues - perhaps the book had too many words she didn't recognise (?) But how do I get her going again, or is it a case of simply wait and see... jojo

This may be a function of neurological maturity. Her eyes may not be able to effectively use the proper sustained focus and eye movements to allow her to comfortably read "too many words" per page.

To see if this is the issue, you could do a couple of things. Take the text from a "sentence per page" book and put them all on a single page in paragraph form. Ask dd to read it. If she stumbles or balks, show her the same words in the one sentence per page and ask her to read it. If she is able to read it in the one sentence per page, it may be that she doesn't have the oculomotor control yet for the more words per page books.

DON'T WORRY!! My dd9 around age 4, did this and is now reading at an 8th grade level! It seems like it is the same idea as learning anything else for GT kids. Their brain knows what it wants to do, but the body just isn't mature enough. THen if you add perfectionism to the mix, you have one frustrated kiddo!

Hope this is helpful. I am by no means an expert but with all the vision/perception issues my dd7 has going on, I am getting quite an education in these matters!!

Good Luck!

I
    I
    I wouldn't be too concerned by a child not sounding out words - my son detests doing this & had similar issues, even though he could identify the starting letter of a word easily enough. Beyond that - he has taught himself to read and is probably around Grade 3 level (he is 5). I never really heard or saw him sound out words - though he'll often test himself on things like like secretly - even as a baby, he would coo and babble incessently when alone in the room, but not when someone walked in. I'm sure he did learn phoncis - some at Montessori and from TV (Sesame Street etc). The environment we provided included the Leap Frog ball with letters, phonic sounds and music. It's the only Leap Frog device I got for him as I try to steer away from video games, computer and TV, especially as he has grown older. However, keeping a radio or TV on from birth helps children to learn a language so we did that and always had the subtitles on. He didn't pay much attention to the Leap Frog ball at 11 months, but really became fascinated probably around 15-16 months and pressed the buttons over and over. We still have sub-titles on the TV all the time, and around age 3, he started reading an early reader that was about a Grade 1 level and I couldn't believe what he knew already. The subject of the book was based on a show he watched a great deal on DVD, again with subtitles and "story book" sections that highlight words in the story on the screen. I spent sometime with him on the computer around Age 2 using "cat" and "bat" phonic type exercies on a really old fashioned computer game - it was obvious he didn't "totally get it". By age 4, he was completely fluent at reading without any further help from us. I was shocked. I appreciate all the comments from parents in this section, and others about allowing your child to fail / not giving them an answer - but telling them "just try, give it a shot". I did this last night when trying to get him to "compose" his own writing. I had to keep asking him "well, what would that word look like if you were reading" - because he struggles a little to correlate what I know he can read with actually spelling it and writing it down on paper. He seemed scared to get it wrong, and really happy after getting it right or "almost perfect". My son will still sometimes say "Oh, you just read it" - and I figure that is becasue he is scared and frustrated by the words he gets stuck on, and also because he learns by watching me read. However, it has always frustrated him if I point at words, or read at a slow pace that I would consider reasonable for most toddlers/young children. I've read to him since before he was a year old, and even then, he used to like us to turn the pages really fast, especially when doing single letter pages such "A, B, C". We never even got around to using his Phonics set - because it occurred to me last year, he could read every book in the set without any further "schooling". Also thanks MamaBear for some great pointers - I think I can use those to help my little one read the "harder books" which are intimidating him as he kept on saying "too many words" and he has eye sight issues and wears a patch to correct his alignment too. It might also help with the written composition. Spread the words out on the page.

I
    I
    Oh yes - ColinsMum is so right! My mother bought a couple of those for my son last Christmas - and again - he could alreayd read everything easily which actually helped alert me to the fact that he was way beyond the level he "should be" at for his age. I recommend them too!

OP Offline
    well dd has started sounding out words now! So she has words that she definitely is reading as site words, and now she is adding in her phonics reading. She is one happy kid!!

W
    W
    I let DD watch "Between the lions" at that age. She started sounding out words because of watching them.

OP Offline
    thanks! I was thinking about some sort of tv show to help her with it, but so far she seems to be doing fine. I will keep Between the Loins in mind though...I don't think we have it in Canada, but I see it is on youtube!

Between the loins? Hmm, that sounds like an interesting show!

LOL! Some typos are better than others!

Kriston
    OP Offline
    hahahaha I wish I could say that was on purpose! lol funny!

Sounds like something Tom Wolfe said in "A Man in Full!!"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader