Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Yes, it seems every quirk these days comes with a diagnosis.

I think my friend's point was that ADD is the inability to control focus even when DC WANTS to. So if a child loses himself in what he's doing and simply doesn't want to stop for dinner, that's entirely different from the child who can't shift focus even though he/she is starving.

I just read the term "flow" in a book I was reading.

Yes! That's it exactly! I think it's the difference between productivity (even enhanced productivity!) and interference with daily life.

Problems need to be managed; quirks don't.

Kriston
    RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Did he have the WJ cognitive? Or just the WJ achievement? If he has hand to paper kinks, fluency scores will be low. They test very little in the way of "smarts". The real meat for the WJ is in the passage comprehension and applied problems scores. Calculation shows math knowledge too, but it's pencil/paper testing, and could reflect a lower score if that is an issue.

They did cog and achievement. The tests they gave are: long term memory, short term memory, visual processing, logic and reasoning, executive processing speed, word attack, and auditory processing.

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Part of it was that his awareness of standards of what 'good writing' sounded like were much higher than what he could achieve. As he's gotten older he has a better understanding of what is age and grade appropriate, but back then anything shy of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" with computer printing was heartbreaking.

I never thought about it that way, but that makes perfect sense! His reading level is so high, so maybe he thinks if he can't write like that, then why bother. That lovely GT perfectionism. frown

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I don't like the idea that because my son has a "quirk," he could be diagnosed with something. I get the sense (perhaps wrongly!) that RJH doesn't necessarily like that either.

Not everything different from the norm is bad. Sometimes different is a strength! And even if it is a weakness, it doesn't necessarily require a label and a diagnosis.

Exactly! I have no plans to pursue ADD testing at all. I think a lot of it he will out grow, and the rest.....well, it's just the way he is....always thinking deep.

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm pretty sure that's all cognitive, no achievement. The achievement testing has names like "letter word ID" and "passage comprehension" for reading, or "calculation" and "applied problems" for math.

I just looked closer at the test results, and the word attack, and aud processing they are calling ACH. And the rest have COG beside them. Here are their definitions:

Word Attack: measures the knowledge of and application of sound codes in order to pronounce unknown words.

Auditory processing: measures the ability to analyze, blend, segment, and synthesize speech sounds.

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Thanks for double checking. Those are probably two of the LEAST used achievement tests on the WJ, whistle . In time, it will help your understanding of both kids to get some good achievement data on them. I'm glad the cognitive stuff was helpful.

Thanks, Dottie. I wish I would have asked them exactly what tests they were going to give. I thought it would be best to get the COG portion, so that's why I went to them. You think the ACH info is better? There are several testers in my area that only give the ACH portion. Should I try that in the spring?

I'll just chime in to back Dottie that having both sets of scores really helped us.

I was worried by DS7's lower PSI score--fearing a problem--until Dottie pointed out to me that given how well he did on his achievement testing, it wasn't a problem.

I think even a mismatch can be useful, in its own way.

Kriston
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs