Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    with the WJ-III at a place called Learning Rx. Has anyone ever heard of this place? They have franchises all over the country, and they claim to boost your child's cognitive abilities with their program. I went there simply for the testing, and have no interest in their program only because it's an hour drive away.. ..I honestly haven't even looked in to their classes because I have no plans on using them. I was very upfront about this with them, but I have a feeling that when I go back next week for the results, they will try to talk me in to signing up. On the way home I had this horrible thought that what if they score the test wrong/poorly on purpose to make my kids seem like they really need help! Just to try to get me to sign on! I know, I know that must sound crazy. Someone smack me please!

I haven't heard of them before, but I am curious now. Can you give a ballpark on what they charge for a single W-J III? I'm sure that they wouldn't play with the actual scores, but perhaps they might play them up or down to sell their services.

I too would be concerned. I put this style right up there with the greasy used/new car salesman tactic. Okay it probably is not that bad but red flags go up with the addition of the program to enhance their cognitive abilities. And because of this I would be drawing the same conclusion or concerns that you have about poorly testing the kids. However if they are a national chain they wouldn't have got to that level without some checks and balances and word of mouth so they probably wouldn't throw the tests but Lorel is right they would probably downplay the scores in hopes of you signing up for the program. (Just talking myself off the ledge.)

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    They charge $99 for the test(cognitive and abilities tests) and a 1 hour consult to go over the results. DS took the WISC last year, but I didn't tell them that. So if his scores are way off from his WISC, I'll know somethings up. Thanks for not making me feel crazy smile

C
    C
    RJH- We have a similar place near us that does the WJ-III too for placement into their tutoring program. I have heard they have 2 decent testers for the 7+ set but that they are terrible with the younger kids because they have no clue what to do with them if they quit or wiggle. I don't think you're crazy- we've looked into doing it there as well but with DS being 5 1/2 and wiggly, we'll have to find another option.

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by CAMom
    RJH- We have a similar place near us that does the WJ-III too for placement into their tutoring program. I have heard they have 2 decent testers for the 7+ set but that they are terrible with the younger kids because they have no clue what to do with them if they quit or wiggle. I don't think you're crazy- we've looked into doing it there as well but with DS being 5 1/2 and wiggly, we'll have to find another option.

DD5nextmonth, was actually tested by the owner(older man, and very nice)so I'm hoping he has lots of experience with "spirited" children. I know she was a pain to test. She told me after we left that she was trying to play hide and seek with him while he was testing her. eek I told her she shouldn't have done that, and her reply was "He didn't mind, actually he told me I was as smart as a 7 year old." LOL!

DS's tester looked to be about college age. But I know he cooperated fully. He's great that way. grin

L
    L
    I got a flyer from Learning Rx but it never occurred to me to just use them for testing - I'll be curious as to what you think of the results and your experience.

They sound legit, and I'd be tempted to try them for kid number four if they had a place closer to me.

RJH Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I just got back with the test results. DS scores were very similar to his WISC scores, so I feel like they tested him properly. But like Lorel mentioned, they did harp on his one weakness.....processing speed. He scored 2-3 years older in all of the other areas. Processing speed was 2 months under his age. So she mentions ADD, and says how much this will hurt him in all areas of his life, etc. crazy I feel like he can be a little distractible, but nothing that affects him on a major level. When he was in public school it was never a problem.

DDalmost5 scores were very impressive....for the tests she actually cooperated with. eek But I new she would be hard to test. 4 out of the 8 tests she wouldn't participate in, but the 4 she did were in the 94-98% range.

Overall, I'm glad I have the extra data. The one thing I'm not happy about is not having and actual score. She said they don't give a final number so to speak. She guaranteed that their program would help DS with processing speed, but I'm not willing to plop down $3000 to find out. What to you guys think about processing speed issues? Not a big deal? Things I can do at home to help?

Do things at home, definitely!

"2 months below age" is pretty meaningless. That's average, and that's fine. It might work as a pinch point for learning, as speed does for my DS7, but it's not a real problem if you keep in mind that he can't help his speed, that it's real and not just dawdling. It's more of an area to keep in mind and a weakness to fiddle with briefly but often. Probably your DS is going to be a "deep, but not fast kid," just like mine. It makes grade skips harder, since they work at the speed of a kid their own age but think like a kid older. <shrug> Otherwise, no real trial except to your patience.

But I wouldn't spend $3000 for working on speed, unless you needed that higher processing speed for some specific reason (program, planned grade skip, etc.) No way!

Kriston
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...