Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    You mean "range" there in the first line, right Grinity? Not "rage?"

Most typos don't matter, but if that's not a typo, it could change the request substantially!

And I agree 100% with the question "How many hours of misery a day are ok for my kid?" I think that really puts things into perspective in thsi sort of situation. Good call, Grin!

Kriston
    Maybe she means "rage to master" ?

Or rage at being underchallenged?

Still I don't think she meant that anyone should go to a school and ask to test a child's rage! I don't think that would get a positive response!

I could be wrong though...

Kriston
    LOL!

A
    OP Offline
    A
    The "grouping" term came from a school policy pamphlet that I picked up. In it it states "Research shows most children learn best in mixed groups. These are sometimes called 'inclusive classrooms'. They include children with varying abilities and disabilities. Some children may still leave the classroom for special instruction for part of the day." There is a silver lining, though, as the same pamphlet does state "There are exceptions. The very gifted and the very disabled, usually do require special grouping."
    Her teacher informed me that she divides her class into groups based on ability and my DD5 is in the top group. Her very next sentence (which I neglected to say in my last post) however, was that she then divides the top group and puts one of those students into each of the "lower" ability groups in order for that group to see that it can be learned. confused I immediately asked her if this is the time period in which my DD5 starts acting up and she literally jumped in her chair as though I had just shot her! Her eyes got big and her jaw dropped! I just smiled and said "see, that's the problem."
    Funny story: the teacher gave me a word list and said that her advise is to work with my child on these words. Once she learns them she can begin to take books home. The teacher said maybe this would keep her mind busy and she won't be so bored. So I did...and within 5 minutes she could spell the words to me from the other side of the house while watching TV and, of course, could also read them off the page. Take that teacher, great idea you had, now what? laugh
    With regards to the "rage". I myself have witnessed this. However, I do not believe it is being interpreted correctly. I believe it is impatience and frustration with the other kids. If you listen to what she says when she "lashes out" it is usually something like "How many times have I said?" or "Leave me alone I can do it myself" or "I've asked you to stop that 3 times." I do agree that her behavior needs to be redirected. On the other hand, I know/have observed that it only happens around her same-age peers. If she is playing with older kids or adults, she does not behave this way. Also, the other kids provoke and pick on her by stealing her gloves or crayons and hiding them. They also bombard her with questions like "why do you do this...why do you do that?"
    anyway, just wanted to answer some of the question that were asked. Thanks for the advise so far. I think I am going to try to get her tested. My husband also had the idea to homeschool her throughout the summer so, in his words, the school will have no option but to grade skip.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    You mean "range" there in the first line, right Grinity? Not "rage?"

Most typos don't matter, but if that's not a typo, it could change the request substantially!

And I agree 100% with the question "How many hours of misery a day are ok for my kid?" I think that really puts things into perspective in thsi sort of situation. Good call, Grin!

...She did sign that post Grimity!

Originally Posted by AMS's mom
    ... My husband also had the idea to homeschool her throughout the summer so, in his words, the school will have no option but to grade skip.

To paraphrase Dr Phil, "let me know how that works for you".

I'm in a cynical mood, can anyone tell??

If it were only that easy.........((sigh))

Good luck with that and God love ya if you pull it off!

School districts usually have policies regarding these things, these policies are often based on the state's legislative decisions.

I'm glad your school states it's policies of inclusion for all students. It's pretty much illegal to state otherwise.

Sometimes school have an official and "unofficial" policy about what goes on in the classroom. If your teacher ability groups that's fantastic, and not to be confused AT ALL with tracking, BTW.

Sounds like the teacher made a great connection between her working with the lower groups and DD's frustration level. Most teachers worth their weight would adjust a situation that they observe causes the child undue stress. This by the way, it a good way to approach the principal if it's not resolved. You have more teeth if you approach it from that direction.

Be nice to the teacher, I know you feel angry. She's your best shot at the moment of rectifying the situation in a short amount of time. It seems if she wants to do the right thing. Maybe she's never experienced a child as advanced as yours. BTW, newer teachers can be the best teacher these kids have because sometimes they are more open to the parents suggestions.

The worst year either of our children ever had was with the most senior experienced K teacher in the district.

It would be nice if we could have one conversation with the school and then everything will go smoothly after that. That hasn't happened yet here! I recently resigned myself to the fact that I will never ever get to just drop off, pick up and everything is fine. It will be consistent communication with the school and there will be problems. I actually mourned my dead fantasy of pick up drop off smiles all around. I actually cried! frown

Lastly, and there's no way to sugar coat this, if you approach the school with these words or this attitude: She is acting out because she is bored/not challenged.....you are sunk before you start.

Gratified is correct.

Maybe something along the lines of: "Well I think we've figured out a trigger for her frustration. What can we do in class to alleviate her frustration, and WHAT CAN I DO AT HOME TO HELP HER FIND A MORE PRODUCTIVE WAY TO EXPRESS IT".

We aren't trying to bag on you, we're tying to give you helpful advice, we've all been there and I know I've made some mistakes. I wish someone would have told me.......

I definately think testing is a great idea. Most of our kids have reported just LOVING it! It will help you justify her unique situation when you talk to the school. If you homeschool if can give you a reference point in terms of what's appropriate and how fast she'll burn through courses.

((hugs and more hugs-line "borrowed" from Grinity))

Cheering you on,

Neato

crossposted with ya Oma! Well, these situations tend to bring out the worst in us, yes? Some of this advocating stuff is NOT fun..........

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM