Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    CFK Offline OP
    OP Offline
    For those of you with younger kids who have an interest in the cosmos, I highly recommend this book. It was written by Stephen Hawking and his daughter and the writing is aimed for an average 4th or 5th grader, I think. It is a fictional story that is easy to read (big font size) and has illustrations as well as pictures taken from the Hubble spacecraft. It presents things like black holes, supernovas, mass, exoplanets and other universe-related topics in a scientific but very kid-friendly way. Great for those kids who thirst for some deeper knowledge of these things but still prefer a "kid-format".

Q
    Q
    CFK,

I'm glad to read your review. DS was given this book by his grandmother for Christmas, but refused to listen to it (he's still not willing to read longer books) because it's fiction. Instead we read A Briefer History of Time, and so far, part of A Brief History of Time. The funny thing is how much he already knows from watching the science channel, so the non-fiction book (at the least the Briefer History of Time) is not so complicated for him. I didn't push him on George's Secret Key to the Universe, as the reviews I read were lukewarm at best. Now that I know you recommend it, I'll take it out again. We need a new book to read, and maybe I can actually get him to read it himself. So thank you!

Q
    Q
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Plus, he's very much 8 years old and likes pictures!

fyi - we checked out the Complete Illustrated Brief History of Time Updated and Expanded Edition. The illustrations are quite good, but it's a lot harder to follow and I think DS7 may have run out of steam on that one. I don't know why he says he hates fiction, when he loves stories like Stuart Little. Maybe because he feels they're trying to simplify his beloved science. In any event, I'm trying George's again tonight.

ps - Have you seen The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick? It's an absolutely gorgeous book - the size of Harry Potter but mostly two full page illustrations with some text. That will be DS's first chapter book. Just bought it and it looks fascinating.

We're going to the library today, and I've written the titles down. Thanks, friends! smile

Kriston
    Thank you so much. I added it to our library list.

LMom
    K
    K
    Thanks! Always looking for good books for DS! Sounds right up his alley.

DS got the invention of Hugo Cabret for x-mas. He is still reading it! DH and I want to read that one too. Lovely format and art. Looks like a perfect first chapter book.

We absolutely loved the Invention.... book at our house. I bought it in Canada last spring and has been recommending it to people ever since. Even Scholastic Book Fairs carry it now:-)
    As for George's ....., I think this book is great. The first few chapters are kind of different than the rest of the book, so don't get discouraged and read on! Available also through Scholastic, but if you are a savy shopper, Amazon has a great price (like $12 versus original $17).
    I should also mention The Periodic Table - Elements With Style by Adrian Dingle and Beowulf in a graphic novel edition by Gareth Hinds.
    Happy reading:-)

Hi all,

DD8 just picked out Hugo Cabret yesterday at the book store. She is really engrossed in it. I havent' read it yet, but looked at the description. I love this kind of story for her age.

Incog

This is fully non-scientific book, but ds8 has been really enjoying reading 'The Man in the Ceiling', about a boy who loves to make comics, and his uncle who writes musicals. By Jules Feiffer; lots of good comics and it appears to be a page turner.

Last edited by chris1234; 11/26/08 03:38 PM. Reason: not enuf f's in feiffer ;)
    I am also wondering if anyone can recommend a book for a 2.5 year old girl interested in pictures of doctors and kids getting medical treatment (hope that doesn't sound too weird).
    She has been checking out *only* the pages in the Richard Scary and other books where they visit the doctor.
    She is working on learning the names of the various tools: tongue depressor, bandages, stethoscope, etc. Currently enjoying the 'children's medical guide', a book for parents trying to figure out whether to call a doctor and a general care and growth guide. She is fascinated by all the pictures of the parts in the see-through bodies (muscles, bones, the part where you pee-pee, etc.) She walks around feeling her body and other peoples to find the bones underneath, it is pretty funny!

I am hoping for something in-between the books with only one page dedicated to this, and the book for adults.
    Any good doctor/nurse picture books out there? (she is not reading)

thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription