Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by hi_corinna
    Seems to me there are plenty of Alpha-parents out there pushing their kids to do more, sooner -- whether the child is GT or not. I'm not sure this is always a good thing.

This is exactly my worry, too. It's why I stress that while it's possible to improve achievement through specialization and pushing, that improvement comes at a cost.

Kriston
    The hardest job I ever had was cleaning out a boiler at a coal fired plan right out of the Army while waiting for College to start. I did it with men who lived in a half-way house for violent felons. They had tattoos and scars ( which was not cool 20 years ago ) and had some pretty amazing stories to tell.

Some of them read at quite a high level while some could not read at all, some were Muslim, some were Atheists, some were black, some white, but most of them share one thing - they hated their parents.

I also fostered 18 kids.

The biggest problem in our society is not poverty or the schools, its parents who will not raise their kids properly or at all. Sometimes its drugs, sometimes its depression or other mental illness, sometimes they don't protect them, and sometimes its lack of knowledge, and sometimes its just a lack of attention. It all begins at home.

One step that would make this better is some form of Parent Education taught in schools. The big battle over sex ed misses the point and the broader topic should be some sort of Family Education - or better - how to care for and raise kids, budget and plan meals, find a place to live, etc.

One could argue that with better sex ed there would be fewer reluctant parents...

Originally Posted by kcab
    Yeah, I can be one of those difficult-to-get-along with people, though I think it's more due to personality in my case. I'm just not willing to say that it is a requirement that all highly intelligent people also be irascible, or scary (I'm more in the irascible camp, personally, not very scary at all.)

I guess - there is a type of gifted which is inspiring, really good at inspiring others to work hard and give their best effort. That person may end up spending more of their life leading others than tinkering themselves, even if they are really good tinkerers.

I'm just voting for a wider view here, that's all. Some HG+ folks may fit a particular stereotype, but not all will.

Charisma is a funny thing to me.

Charisma is that undefined quality that makes people want to do things for you. Its also called star quality. It opens doors. Literally. Some people keep it after their looks fade. Some people's Charisma is so good it burns through predjudice or even convictions - just watch Hillary or Palin work a room. My wife has this as well and she works it and why she made President in her early 30s.

Speaking solely for myself - I know that there are two leadership roles I can assume well- and the rest do not work for me. The first, is the military/ranching role or emergency situations where clear instructions, hard labor and a brave face work. The second is the intellectual leadership and force of will when something has to be done that is intellectually complex with lots of smart people involved - such as getting something big and complicated to work. I am not good at other roles because I cannot stand lack of perfection or vague relationships or interactions based upon non-concrete things.

I also do not respond like those who respond to Charisma such as those who hang around stars, sports players, politicians, etc. Social proof means nothing to me and I am offended by people trying to charm me.

Thinking specifically about GT, kids should learn about their leadership styles. Everyone has a leadership role to play in their lives. Leadership can be studied like any other topic and its quality can be discerned like any other personality trait or role. Kids can learn where they would work best and worse as leaders and then try not to force their squareness into a round hole. They can also learn about leadership and management in some easy ways ( large scout troop) or the hard way ( manage a retail store ) while they are still at home.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    One could argue that with better sex ed there would be fewer reluctant parents...

LOL.

My oldest niece had to carry that whiny doll around for a week, feed it, clothe it, change it, etc.

That did more for making her careful than any book argument read by a stuffy teacher other than my "God's Gift to Women" comments.

OP Offline
    By the way, St. Pauli Girl what is the exact title of the book reviewed? I haven't been able to find it in Amazon. Thnx.

It is The Development of Giftedness and Talent Across the Life Span
    by Frances Degen Horowitz (Editor), Rena F. Subotnik (Editor), Dona J., Ph.D. Matthews (Editor)

Wow, just came back to this after several busy days. What a lot of great comments! I have been operating with a serious lack of sleep, so I don't think I can add anything profound to this discussion. I do need to go back and watch the mark yu video. I stopped before I got to anything dealing with physcial changes in the brain of teenagers. I do think that in the next few years, with all the brain research exploding because of new technologies able to better look at the brain's functioning, we are going to see some new developments in how children learn best. And with luck, these new developments will benefit every child, GT or not. I hope this book touches on some of the research possibilities.

Not having "felt" gifted growing up (though knowing in retrospect that I was) I have a hard time deciding what I think about whether you can lose giftedness. I think it is much easier to learn when you are young, however, and we need to make a concentrated effort to get to kids when they are young, before 3rd grade when most gifted programs start.

OK, i'm babbling. Off to take nap...

Originally Posted by st pauli girl
    By the way, St. Pauli Girl what is the exact title of the book reviewed? I haven't been able to find it in Amazon. Thnx.

It is The Development of Giftedness and Talent Across the Life Span
    by Frances Degen Horowitz (Editor), Rena F. Subotnik (Editor), Dona J., Ph.D. Matthews (Editor)

Thanks. I found it.

Wednesday Nov 19, there is an EdWeek Live chat w/ the authors of this book. I learned about it at Unwrapping the Gift blog. Unwrapping the Gifted

Thanks for posting that, looks very interesting. I'm going to try to attend or at least read the transcript.

OP Offline
    Here's the transcript:
    Evolving Definition of Giftedness

You might have to sign up to view edweek materials (it's free).

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM