Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 429 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I agree about the leisure time. Our school mandates 30 minutes of reading homework a day, which I'm fine with. However, trying to force those 30 minutes into the point system drives me nuts. Let the kids meet a reasonable goal, and then "reward" them by letting them read whatever they want (including, *gasp* magazines!) Instead our collective school mentality seems to be more/higher/better/faster

We're running into that problem, too. GS9 is supposed to log what books he is reading as well as time, and have me sign the log. He's having difficulty logging his reading accurately, and getting it signed off. He reads on the bus going to school, he reads on the bus coming home, he reads in class waiting on the rest of the class, he reads anything with words at any opportunity. In 3 weeks, he met his AR point goal for the quarter. I'm just praying that his AR log is not going to count in his grade for reading because once he finished his goal, his log is very spotty; but that doesn't mean he hasn't been reading.

C
    C
    I wrote in another post about AR - it is only based on vocabulary not content or depth of topic. That is why it is increasingly difficult for GT students to find books on their "required" level once they get past 6.0. There are also many books, as you are finding, that say 5.0 that are not books that 5th graders should be reading.

L
    L
    If my 10 year old son did a daily reading log, it would be filled with lots of history and science related Wikipedia articles and video game magazine articles and an occasional book like Ripley's Believe it or Not and magazines like National Geographic, because that is what he prefers to read on his own. I think the time he spends reading on his own probably adds up to several hours a day, so I never felt the need to keep track of it.

We read books about economics and government together because he likes to discuss those subjects. He even asks me to read the economics book on weekends when we are not doing any homeschooling, so I know he is enjoying learning about this subject.

He does not enjoy reading most of the books his public schooled friends are reading and even though his friends kept telling him how good the Harry Potter books were and numerous other books, he refused to read them. He would not change his reading habits for a reward or a bribe as he calls it, but he thinks most people would. When he listened to the debates, he said he thought most people would vote for the candidate offering the best bribe.

Originally Posted by san54
    Kcab, our son, now 27, never bought into those reward programs. The problem with them is they don't take into account encyclopedias which he read voraciously at meals. He was so miserable at school for so many years that I swallowed my sense of ettiquette and allowed the one consolation of reading at the table. Yes, it was the annoyance he felt of keeping track of time. Structure like this always seemed silly to him and the organization it took, a bother.

Heh. Loved those encyclopedias!! They never let me check them out of the library, so I skipped lunch a lot just to go read.

Just heard on the radio that the d.c. schools are paying kids to do right in school. I will have to dig around for an article on this.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but here's a middle of the road / pro-pay article. http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/...ids-are-being-paid-to-attend-school.html

I think the incentives of a little pizza or an ice cream party at school are pretty minor and I wouldn't think could do much harm. This pay thing might be different...but I would say d.c. is definitely on the desperate to try anything list. I sincerely wish them success.

Last edited by chris1234; 10/17/08 04:21 PM.
    Originally Posted by chris1234
    I think the incentives of a little pizza or an ice cream party at school are pretty minor and I wouldn't think could do much harm.

These things seem innocuous unless you have a kid with fatal food allergies. It's no fun to be the one left out of the ice cream party. I think that when rewards are used at school, they should be something that all the students can enjoy.

Mia Offline
    Chicago is paying kids for good grades as well... I think it's an awful idea. :-/

Mia
    When I was in high school a local arcade gave free tokens for A's and B's. But that was just a promotional gimmick. It had nothing to do with the school.

I'd have loved the pay for grades idea when I was in school, since I got good grades anyway. But they wouldn't have changed anything about school for me...except my bank account!

For the record, I hate the idea! :p

Kriston
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM