Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Mia Offline
    Thanks, Dottie!

Op, my ds had a range of scores like yours, but if I understand correctly, anything labeled with age equivalent >7.2 is a ceiling for the WPPSI. My ds even had a 16 that was a ceiling--not sure exactly how that happened. smile

Mia
    Mia Offline
    Hmm... I don't think it does, Dottie. If it did, wouldn't I have gotten more accurate age norms than the ">7.2"s?

Mia
    Mia Offline
    I hope you find something good--on my phone so I can't help. :-)

Mia
    Mia Offline
    Hmm... Well, what's one to make of those >7.2 scores, then? Sorry, I'm confused... smile

Mia
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    There are probably other ways to hit a ceiling, but if you question many psychs, they like to assure you that all is well, and that since your child didn't...

a. Answer every question
    b. Get a 19
    c. Get a 160 full scale

...he surely didn't hit the "ceiling". For them to admit he did hit the ceiling basically says their assessment is limited. And for the price you paid (or the cost to the school), they are often hesitant to say that.

Thanks Dottie. It sounds like a YMMV depending on the psychologist! It seemed odd to me too but the psych specifically wrote that although DS received 19's on several sections, he didn't ceiling since there were questions that he didn't get to on those sections. It was odd to include that but the psych went on to state that since DS didn't ceiling, the FSIQ is probably accurate...

I just looked at DS' WPPSI scores (age 4yrs 4mos)

The ceiling scores were:

Information 18 >7:2 99.6%ile
    Vocabulary 18 >7:2 99.6%ile
    Word Reasoning 18 >7:2 99.6%ile
    Block Design 19 7:2 99.9%ile

I have wondered why the 18's were listed as >7:2 and the 19 was 7:2. Does anybody know why that is?

Mia Offline
    hmm, I'll check ds's exact scores and percentiles out when we get home and report back...

Interesting discussion for WPPSIers!

Mia
    Wow, just when I thought I had all this stuff down, you ladies are thoroughly confusing me. Are you saying a score can ceiling lower than 19 based on age child took it.

So confused.............

If so, just for the WPPSI or could this apply to the WISC. And Dottie, you have DD8's scores and age when she took it. So theoretically you could tell me if any of those 17's and 18's were hard ceilings?

This conversation is starting to make my brain ache. Take pity on me, oh wise ones.....

N
    Niki Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Wow, you guys are great!
    This is a great discussion. Cathy I don't understand also how it works. It does not make sense.
    My DS at 4yr 9mo
    Information: raw score 31, scaled score 19, >7:2, 99.9%
    Vocabulary 29, 15, 7:2, 95%
    Word Reasoning 24, 17, >7:2, 99%
    Block Design raw score 36, scaled score 19, >7:2, 99.9%
    matrix reasoning 23, 17, >7:2, 99.9%
    Picture concepts 20, 17, >7:2, 99%

I would think that anything as >7:2 is as high as it goes provided by the test. What would constitute 7:3?

acs Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Wow, just when I thought I had all this stuff down, you ladies are thoroughly confusing me. Are you saying a score can ceiling lower than 19 based on age child took it.

So confused.............

If so, just for the WPPSI or could this apply to the WISC. And Dottie, you have DD8's scores and age when she took it. So theoretically you could tell me if any of those 17's and 18's were hard ceilings?

This conversation is starting to make my brain ache. Take pity on me, oh wise ones.....

Hi Neato.

I found this article really helpful. It isn't the full story (Dottie can probably give you that ;)) but it is a start. http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Articles_id_10405.aspx

Here is what they say about ceilings
    WATCH FOR LOW CEILINGS. A ceiling is the highest possible score that can be earned on a subtest, and most intelligence tests have ceilings that may be low for highly gifted children. Technically, a ceiling is defined by the score that would be obtained if every item on a subtest was awarded full credit. But a ceiling effect that underestimates a child�s true ability may actually be evident any time that all subtest items have been administered and the test discontinue threshold has not been reached. Consider an example with the WISC-IV Vocabulary subtest, which consists of 36 words for the child to define. The words are presented in ascending order of difficulty, and the subtest is discontinued after the child has given 5 consecutive incorrect or vague responses. It is common for highly gifted children to be administered all of the items on this subtest, because they are able to provide a correct or partially correct response to a few of the most difficult words, even their word knowledge may not be broad and deep enough to answer every item correctly. If the discontinue rule has not been invoked, then it is likely that even more difficult words could have been defined if they were presented. Any time your child has earned a score of 19 (the highest possible subtest score on the WISC-IV and SB5) on any individual subtest, OR any time your child has been administered all items on a subtest and the discontinue rule has not been reached, that subtest score and the overall composite score to which it contributes will underestimate your child�s true ability level, which is higher than the test is designed to measure. Ask your psychological examiner to consider including a statement in the report that test results may underestimate your child�s true ability level because of low subtest ceilings.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM