Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Greetings! I'm a newbie here in a remarkably similar situation to the original poster, with one big difference: we have an unsupportive teacher whose whole teaching philosophy for gifted kids seems to be "boredom is not an excuse for incomplete work and bad behavior." My gentle attempts to advocate for my son have been met with extreme defensiveness and a generally nasty attitude. With no idea what else to do and no desire to go to war with our child's teacher (!!!), we're pulling our gifted 1st grader out of school at the end of this week for homeschooling.

We're not in a position to accept most of the suggestions listed here--virtual academies, part-time homeschooling/part-time public school, etc. I will be the teacher and I need to plan his lessons.

So my question is this: does anyone have any curriculum suggestions that will offer us both some measure of structure as well as the flexibility for him to go through the material significantly faster than the average child? I'm particularly interested in math curriculum, though I'll welcome any and all suggestions I can get, regardless of subject matter.

Thanks! I've enjoyed reading the posts here, and I look forward to the responses you all will provide! Can't wait!

Kriston
    Hi Kriston-

How old is your child, and what level math are you looking for? I'd love to help, but I need a little more detail.

take care-

Lorel

Sorry, Lorel!

He's 6. We didn't grade skip him because a) we didn't realize until this week just exactly how bright he is, and b) he's already young for his grade. (And a lot of people hold their kids back around here to make them bigger for sports...don't get me started!)

He reads about 3 grades above level, but his math achievement is only barely 1 grade above 1st grade now. However, I think that's just because I'm such a verbal person. His testing (and my experience with how his mind works) indicate that he has the ability, but I know I haven't challenged him to use his math skills in the way he has to use his verbal ones around me, just as a matter of course. I suspect that once he gets regular exposure and a responsive environment, he's going to fly through any curriculum I put in front of him.

Thanks so much for your help!

Kriston
    Kriston-

Singapore math is very popular with gifted kids. This is the program used in the public schools in Singapore, and kids from Singapore tend to exceptionally well in international math competitions. It's very inexpensive but quite thorough. Take a look at www.singaporemath.com and see what you think. There are sample pages to be viewed, and you can print out a placement test to gauge the correct level to begin. Keep in mind that SM tends to be 6 months to a year ahead of most American programs, so a child doing Saxon grade 3 might only place into Singapore grade 2.

Don't bother with the Earlybird series. These are labeled for kindergarten, but they are VERY basic. Head right into the real Singapore series. You probably don't need a teacher manual for the primary gardes, but you should get both a workbook and a "textbook" for each level.

If Singapore doesn't seem a good fit, you can try Miquon, another popular program, or perhaps consider online math with EPGY or Aleks. But I think you get the most bang for your buck with Singapore.

I'd also recommend mathy prose for your verbal oriented son. See my articles here:
    http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art33626.asp

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art28465.asp

I hope you'll have a blast homeschooling your little guy!

Lorel, this is JUST EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks for the help. I'm off to the 'Net to check out your recommendations and hopefully commit to a curriculum...

:-)

Kriston
    ~
    ~
    I have 2 elementary kids, bright and gifted. Our school curriculum moves slowly so they are not challenged most of the time and they don't get not much homework either. I don't homeschool, I researched and setup some year round study programs in home to keep them on top. Including series of books, online weekly exercise and some workbooks we identified. Since you are homeschooling, I recommend this site

www.beestar.org.

My friend who homeschool her kids gave me this link. It offers tests of all subjects weekly, math, english/reading, gifted, science and social. Math is free, other subjects are $30 each. Best of all for homeschool kids, it gives your standing among others on the same grade/subjects every week and semester, so you know where you are...

The core knowledge series, "What your xth grader need to know' is our favorite set of books.

http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Second-Grader-Needs/dp/038531843X

Last edited by ~~HappyMom; 10/05/07 07:08 AM.
    Thanks! I don't know beestar, so I'll check it out. But I already got three of the "xth Grader" books, just to cover my son's bases. He's moving through the Singapore Math so fast, we may need to go up another grade or two by the end of the year! I'm SOOO glad we took him out of public school! He's learning, he has much more time for friendships, and he's blossoming!

BTW, I'm loving "Creative Home Schooling for Gifted Children: A Resource Guide" by Lisa Rivero, in case anyone else is reading this for help.

Most books I've read have dealt either with home schooling or with gifted education. This is the only resource I've found that tackles the combination. It's so good for helping a home schooler to consider the specific needs of teaching a gifted child, re: not necessarily working lockstep with a packaged curriculum if that's not how the child works, considering learning styles, practical strategies for dealing with the "fire hose" effect of a gifted child's passion for certain topics, etc. Very useful!

Thanks!

Kriston
    Kriston-

The Rivero book is very helpful for those just starting out. I think she does a great job of explaining the different methods without leaning too heavily toward one or the other.

I just spoke on gifted homeschooling this past weekend. The primary concern seemed to be how to connect with true peers. Have you had any success meeting other bright kiddos yet?

What did you say about gifted home schooling in your talk? Not to ask you to reduce an hour's worth of carefully crafted prose to a few nuggets, but if you have anything I could use, I'd be grateful! Thanks! smile

We're fortunate to be very close to an urban area with a school system that's really big and really lousy. Bad for them, but good for us, because there's a LOT of home schoolers around!

We joined a highly active homeschoolers' group. They do more in a week than we could do in a month! And though it's not a group designed for gifted kids, a lot of them are gifted just by the nature of the bad school/gifted kid combo. Plus he can spend time with kids who are a couple years older than he is, and that seems to help, too. I'm going with the theory that gifted kids tend to do best with a variety of activity-specific friends, regardless of age.

He's got two old and dear friends--B: a same-age buddy next-door who's in half-day kindergarten with whom he plays Hot Wheels and Transformers,

and A: an older (gifted & home schooled) buddy with whom he plays sword fighting and haunted house and Legos,

...plus he's got a handful of new friends that he sees in various groups (and with whom I hope to develop playdate friendships as well) who are within a couple of years of his age. He played football and got on the swings at the playground once, and he just generally ran amuck (in a good way) with another boy in an indoor gym after an art class.

Ironically, considering how worried everyone gets about the socialization of home schooled kids, I'm certain that DS is getting WAY more good-quality socializing now than he did in public school. He wanted to arrange a playdate with only one child at his old school. The message I got: he wasn't clicking there socially.

Of old friends B and A: excepting summers, in the past year he saw the first pretty much only on the weekends and the second almost never! Now he sees B daily (sometimes twice a day!) and A at least once a week. Make new friends, but keep the old; One is silver and the other gold, right? From what I can see, he's doing much better at both right now than he was a month ago!

The social question is always the one people ask. But I think that as long as you make an effort to put your child in social situations, they'll find peers. And from what I've seen, home schooling circles tend to be much richer in gifted kids than the regular school system, making it easier to find peers. That's anecdotal, of course, but it's the truth for my experience.

Schools are all-too-often about sitting down and shutting up. Not exactly conducive to making friendships. (The fact that he was acting out and being punished by missing recess wasn't helping...) And since highly gifted kids tend to be isolated even in a crowd, having a few truly good friends and regularly getting opportunities to meet new people seems like just about the best strategy possible!

My bigger worry is that he only seems to ever see boys. Where are all the gifted girls? There's one in his art class, but that's it. I don't think most of the girls get home schooled...No girls in his life? THAT'S the thing that worries me!

But, then again, he never had anything to do with girls at school if he didn't have to anyway. LOL!

Thanks, Lorel!

Kriston
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM