Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    P
    P
    I've done a fair amount of research in Florida, since it's my state, too. My understanding is that the age cutoffs for entrance are written into state education regulations with no provisions for exemptions or variances. It's not something that the local districts have any choice about.

I believe that your DD is also going to be too old for the cut-off to delay entry. I don't remember the exact date, but I do recall being surprised at a school orientation that my Feb Bday DD would not have had the choice to redshirt, even if I'd wanted it. I also believe that mandatory education in Florida only starts in first grade, so that may allow you to postpone a little if you choose to go that direction.

I am aware of at least one preschool in my area that offers the state-supported VPK (voluntary pre-kindergarten) program in mixed-age classes of 3-5 year olds. They cannot get reimbursement from the state if the child does not meet the age requirement, but will charge the normal age rates for a 3yo to be in that mixed grouping. Since some children in the group are in the VPK program, the daily activities comply with the designated VPK curriculum. Not sure if there might be anything like that in your area or if that would even be a option.

Last edited by Prissy; 10/16/08 07:11 PM.

Prissy
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Update on 34 month old now 42 months. She started a preschool 5 months ago that learns through play. She went T-Th 9-12 and will go M-W-F 9-12 this upcoming year. She loves it! They have numerous classes outside of their regular classroom and 2 teachers per 14 kids and 1 extra dedicated teacher when in extracurricular cooking class, music and dance, art, chapel and science. I have found out our school district does not allow early entry and haven't found anyone who can tell me about skipping kindergarten. She is now reading books and anything she asks for she will tell you the letter it starts with so we spend a lot of time playing guessing games. She is whizzing through work books, she would do them all night long if we let her. She is doing simple addition and subtraction. She is still working on her writing skills and gets very aggravated when her letters and numbers aren't perfect (which is usually as she is just 3). Wondering if anyone had their child enroll at kindergarten at 5 and get something out of it or had problems with kids who get aggravated when their doings are perfect.

My DS6 started K at 5. It very quickly became apparent that it was a waste of time. Luckily our school is terrific and differentiated him through all subjects. He went to K for lunch and recess. This year he will officially be a 4th grader (still gives me the willies). The one thing that I think he got out of K was early on when he learned "how to do school". Rules, rituals and routines, those things he hadn't had much of.

The other thing that you might consider for your DD is a site called Time4Learning which is interactive for grades K-8. My DS was on it when he was 3-4 and loved it.

Shari
    Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
    Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM