Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    But our 1st grade teacher did discount it! It happens every day. As Cathy rightly noted, there are surely lots of kids who get missed being IDd entirely because they aren't fast.

It's an assumption that GT=fast, and you know what happens when you assume...

Honestly, I think I'm more troubled by the notion that someone on this forum is defending this assumption as being somehow valid and is saying the schools don't have to serve these kids. I have a very big problem with that!

I mean, I assume we all agree that a 2E kid should be accomodated, but my PG kid with only slightly above average speed and memory scores should get nothing? That's fine?

Harumph!

I think it's a problem with the system and it should be fixed, not something we should just accept as okay.

Last edited by Kriston; 09/17/08 08:11 PM. Reason: How can we accept systemic problems? If we do, then how will they ever get fixed?

Kriston
    I know what you mean. DD is verbally gifted but DS is globally gifted. Even his processing speed was more than 2sigma above average. DS is certainly getting a lot more accommodation for his gifts than DD. Also, teachers don't seem to expect her to be good at math. She actually scores higher in math than she does in language arts due to her writing disability. She is not fast with math facts but her language and reasoning skills really help her with word problems.

I know Kriston, I respect what you are saying. smile

But Little C is fast and she still hasn't gotten the respect she *deserves* at school. Remember K; teacher said no gifted programming, she is not: "Cream of the Crop" sick

I absolutely think schools prefer to have a certain "type" of student in the GT programs. So much so that they will exclude a child that should have such services if they don't fit a certain type. And they are seemingly biased against a certain personality of GT kids as well as not *seeing* the kids who are profoundly intelligent and not *fast* enough,

Oh, how I loathe that phrase!!!!

mean, I assume we all agree that a 2E kid should be accomodated, but my PG kid with only slightly above average speed and memory scores should get nothing? That's fine?

I so hope you know I would never imply or suggest that. You know, I know that is total cr*p!

Also, teachers don't seem to expect her to be good at math

I also have a HUGE problem with this. There is SO much ingrained, subconscience bias that girls are always stronger in LA.

This is one of the reasons I take out H for math and will do the same for C, either next year or the year after. It really is disturbing.

Last edited by incogneato; 09/17/08 08:14 PM.
    acs Offline
    When I helped out in DS's classroom, there were a couple of kids who were goofing off all the time, refusing to do their work, and generally being pains in the behind. But when I worked with them one-on-one they were amazing, verbally adept, clever, and funny. They were never going to get ID'd and their families were not in a position to recognize their abilities and advocate for them. I did do some advocating, but not to the degree a parent would. These are the kids that I really worry about, the ones who don't have parents to speak up for them and say, "hey, you know, i think I know why DS might be acting up in your class..." These are the ones I thought of when I saw Cathy's comments about the Gifted kids who aren't ID'd. There must be a lot of them.

Good for you for speaking up ACS. I think you are pretty awesome.

tired

Well friends, I'm plumb tired. The littlest ones just ran me into the ground today! grin

Glad I could check in with you all, see you soon (hopefully! cry)

Originally Posted by CFK
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    CFK, it sounds like you're saying that if GT kids can't keep up, then they should just be out of luck. Is that what you mean?

Of course not! I never post anything like that on these boards, nor do I think it! My point, at least I think how it started, was that most gifted programs are set up for "fast kids" or more even across the board kids. Is this right? Of course not, all varieties of children should be accomodated, but then all of us here know that's not exactly reality. But if you have your child tested, and he/she scores really lopsided, than (anecdotal evidence) your child is probably going to have problems in a traditional "gifted" school setting (not talking about a plain traditional school setting where no accomodations have been made which is usually disaster to ALL of our children). I think this is just another thing that parents should be cognizant of and take into consideration when choosing a school placement for their child.

smile I thought that's what you meant. Really, our GATE program is not set up to serve HG+ kids of any type (fast or slow) for that matter.

My ideal situation for DD would be a class where she and other kids would read good literature and discuss it. They would write about it but spelling/mechanics would be taught separately and DD would be allowed to type her essay. She would be challenged in math and science even though they are not her main interests. Who knows? If math were more challenging, she might be more interested in it. There would be more art--not just cut and paste but actual instruction in art.

Originally Posted by CFK
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    I mean, I assume we all agree that a 2E kid should be accomodated, but my PG kid with only slightly above average speed and memory scores should get nothing?

Maybe that's the answer to this particular issue. That scores ahould be based on each other, not on an average mean, so that a child with a PG VCI/PRI score and a ND PSI/WMI should be considered to have a dual exceptionality. Then there would be a legal recourse to obtain the proper services and accomodations. (of course this is in a perfect world where children are atually given the services they need)

I think in a perfect world we wouldn't have to pathologize differences just to accommodate them.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM