Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    Yes, there is a difference between sharing and promoting.

I'd also like to point out that materialism is not a religion.

B
    B
    Okay. fair enough.

I can see where you're coming from because I agree that what definitely works for one kid doesn't work for another. When I say I promote homeschooling, certain programs, etc... I don't mean to imply that they are universal solutions to every problem. Those two, after all, are not even co-existant unless your kid attends a gifted class all day then homeschool all night :-)

I guess I think there is room for both kinds of opinions. I think some things are relative to the child and the family situation and other things it's okay to state that you are not a neutral party on.

I do think that a thorough knowledge of the Bible is usefull for ANYone... even if they chose not to ascribe to it. At least they checked it out and can speak intellegently on the issue AND can say wholeheartedly that they do or do not believe in God/Jesus/Bible.
    I am not neutral in that position. I just think it's a good thing for people to read up on.

I think that's okay.

It is a little funny that this has gone on so much when I think most of us actually agree a lot more than we disagree on this. I think some of it has been misunderstandings on what a person was getting at. But that's okay. I appreciate those of you that talk it out nicely and clarify. I apologize if something I've said was not clear or came accross in a way other than what I meant.

I hope you all understand that my suggestion is that people search out spiritual issues (including what they think about the Bible and anything else) for themselves. AND that that suggestion, as well as all others, should be seen as just that... a suggestion of a resource and nothing to worry about.

SO, that's what I was TRYING to say all this time in a nutshell. Of course, you may take it or leave it.

Oh, Kathy, because in order to be a materialist you have to trust that material is eternal or self-creating many people consider that a faith of some kind (because it's not possible to prove). I guess it should be called a "faith" or a "belief system"... unless you use to try to practice mind over matter etc... then I think it usually qualifies as a religion....
    But I know many others consider it not to be. That's fine. It was to demonstrate the range of veiws on the issue and how I think all can be discussed just fine.

I just can't say enough how much I appreciate the people on here that are mature enough to talk nicely about this. It's tricky! But you guys rock!

It sounded like you were accusing someone...

Absolutely not, I'm sorry you misinterpreted that.

And the "rude" comment was also in regards to saying there are probably some wonderful boards out there where that is respected and appreciated... I thought it seemed intollerant that one view point about how the Bible should be checked out when exploring spirituality was singled-out as something that should go somewhere else.

Brittany, I'm dissappointed you are implying that I am rude or intolerant.
    I was just trying to be nice to you. confused frown

Well, you are right about this:

I saw your THE END and thought it was a good ending.

Phew, I'm glad that's all cleared up, I agree, let's end this conversation. wink

Peace,
    Neato

Originally Posted by Brittany
    Oh, Kathy, because in order to be a materialist you have to trust that material is eternal or self-creating many people consider that a faith of some kind (because it's not possible to prove). I guess it should be called a "faith" or a "belief system"... unless you use to try to practice mind over matter etc... then I think it usually qualifies as a religion....
    But I know many others consider it not to be. That's fine. It was to demonstrate the range of veiws on the issue and how I think all can be discussed just fine.

Brittany, materialsim is not based on faith. Neither is atheism. I recommend that you read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. It contains an excellent discussion of these topics.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    And the "rude" comment was also in regards to saying there are probably some wonderful boards out there where that is respected and appreciated... I thought it seemed intollerant that one view point about how the Bible should be checked out when exploring spirituality was singled-out as something that should go somewhere else.

Brittany, I'm dissappointed you are implying that I am rude or intolerant.
    I was just trying to be nice to you. confused frown

Well, you are right about this:

[quote]I saw your THE END and thought it was a good ending.

Phew, I'm glad that's all cleared up, I agree, let's end this conversation. wink

Peace,
    Neato

Well, remember that what I said was based on me thinking you were accusing someone. I think I understand now and I'm pretty sure you didn't mean to accuse or single anyone out. It came across that way and I'm sorry if that was just a misunderstanding.

Please no hard feelings because I do see that you are trying to be nice and I think you are way awesome! Probably one of my favorite people in the whole wide web! :-)

Thanks so much!

ditto on THE END :-)

Okay friend, I'm glad we cleared that up because I DID feel very bad and would have worried about it all weekend! I AM sorry that I came off the wrong way.

Normally I would have respected your final, the end, except to tell you I am relieved. blush

B
    B
    I believe that a belief that all this exists without a beginning or a cause takes faith because faith is simply believing in something you cannot prove (I think that's a pretty common definiton).
    And if everything has a beginning or a cause except eternal material that means an exception to all the rules we know... it's difficult to trust that so it takes a little extra... what I would call faith. I don't know what name you'd give it but I see that my definition (listed above) could easily NOT be what you feel the word "faith" means. So, I guess I don't have another name for it. Trust? I donno...

I am familiar with that book but I don't think I've read the whole thing before. I am interested in it. I should check it out. Thanks.

B
    B
    Awesome! You rock.

another END ??? :-)

Originally Posted by Brittany
    I believe that a belief that all this exists without a beginning or a cause takes faith because faith is simply believing in something you cannot prove (I think that's a pretty common definiton).
    And if everything has a beginning or a cause except eternal material that means an exception to all the rules we know... it's difficult to trust that so it takes a little extra... what I would call faith. I don't know what name you'd give it but I see that my definition (listed above) could easily NOT be what you feel the word "faith" means. So, I guess I don't have another name for it. Trust? I donno...

I am familiar with that book but I don't think I've read the whole thing before. I am interested in it. I should check it out. Thanks.

You are assuming that atheists believe there is "no beginning" and/or "no cause". That's the faulty assumption.

W
    W
    OK I did this with Politics. When it goes off gifted linkage, PM please. This thread is getting ridiculous.

And this one isn't even in general discussion.

ren

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM