Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 414 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    I like that advice Brittany. At one point in my life I got sick of everyone telling me what the bible said, so I read it myself, focusing on the New Testament.

It's been a journey, so in the mean time St. Pauli Girl:

I study theology(loosely!), I've read the New Testament several times, was raised Catholic, left the church, studied at non-denomination churches, returned to Catholicism, am currently studying psalms and teach first grade religous ed, so I am great with one-liners! wink

I get the Catholic gone wrong thing, and have a pretty broad perspective, so feel free to ask me quick questions while you are investigating what you want to do. There is NO reason your child needs to think his pre-school teacher knows more than you! What a horrid thought! wink

Feel free to private message me. For what it's worth, I always tell my student that if they tell their parents something we learned and the parent says: "We don't believe that!"- always go with what your parent says.....

Mia Offline
    Ah, yes, I went to Catholic school from 4th through 12th grade, and even though I'm not religious at *all*, I like to know what the Bible says and be able to interpret it from myself -- and I like to be able separate Church dogma from the actual text of the Bible.

So I also suggest reading the Bible, or even take a theology class! There's loads of interesting stuff to be learnt, even if you don't subscribe to all of it.

For us, I tell KG that people have many different beliefs, and that's one of them. I also tell him about people I believe were good, kind people to model one's life after -- including Jesus, who loved people and was as non-judgemental as they come.

Last edited by Mia; 09/08/08 07:39 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

Mia
    When DD8 was in first I think I was asking her to help out a child who was having a hard time making friends and she patently refused. Curious, as she had always loved this kind of mission in the past.

So, I threw out the all powerful: "What would Jesus do?"

She thought for a minute and said: "He'd probably do it".

Well at that point the corners of my mouth began to curl up into the beginnings of an oh so smug smile when she immediately fired:

"But I'm not Jesus". And walked away.

Who is the master and who is the teacher? cry

I tell KG that people have many different beliefs, and that's one of them. I also tell him about people I believe were good, kind people to model one's life after -- including Jesus, who loved people and was as non-judgemental as they come.

BTW Mia, I think that is a perfect way to describe beliefs. smile

OP Offline
    I think you give good advice. It has been long enough for me, i should indeed read the bible again. My mom was in bible study a few years back; i'm sure she'll have some recommendations for me. (Although i still tend to be cynical about certain things, like when i heard from a friend they were teaching a song about "taking away my sins" to 4 year-olds in vacation bible school - those sinful little preschoolers!) My comment was a reference to the bible - didn't you see my winking guy?

When I tried to get info about what happened in preschool today, all i got was his standard joke "we just sat in the corner and did nothing." So if there was any discussion of God today, I don't have to deal with it yet!

OP Offline
    Thanks 'neato.

I've been able to avoid too much related to religion for years, simply because our friends and family aren't too religious either. This was one of my more successful experiments in denial. But this darn preschool business popped up! For the most part, if anything comes up, I try to give several examples of what different people believe.

Mia - I like that you teach about people who were nonjudgmental. That is a wonderful quality to try to instill.

Everyone - thanks for all the advice and input. I didn't mean to make this into a discussion of religion too much (we might get kicked off the board for that!), but I truly appreciate all the resources. I think as parent of gifted kids, we have to deal with a lot of heavier issues at a much earlier age, so I knew you'd all understand. smile

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/08/08 08:03 PM.
    I'm wondering if you would be dissatisfied with a bible study environment. I'm in one now, but I had gone through the process of seeing for myself, KWIM?

As a cradle Catholic, I was hypersensitive to what the bible says vs. what is your opinion about what it says.

I loved re-reading the new testament as an adult. I think you'll find it much different then reading it as a youth and in a class.

Good luck. smile

We left the non-denomination church because they started asking the little kids to invite friends from school to church.

You have to be comfortable with what your kids are being told, but sometimes I have to laugh because of some of the shite they came home with from the public school that had nothing to do with religion, yet was still troublesome!

Of course we understand! I see what you mean about the religous discussion. I hope I haven't offended anyone by stating my position as a Catholic and a Christian. I'm about as open minded as you can get concerning this stuff and accept all views and beliefs. If I've offended anyone in the least, I apologize.

Last edited by incogneato; 09/08/08 08:08 PM.
    OP Offline
    Oh - I didn't mean a bible study class - i meant my mom would be able to recommend a good version of the bible. Heaven forbid I'd join a bible study class! You are correct - i would not be comfortable. smile

Last edited by st pauli girl; 09/08/08 08:08 PM.
    Yeah, you don't need it. You are clearly intelligent enough to suss through it on your own! I'd assume the same for most of the audience here. smile

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM