Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 125 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Mia Offline
    I freely admit that I know *very* little about the scoring -- so I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. smile

Now that you point that out ... hmm. Interesting. I wonder how the report came up with that number then?

Mia
    Mia Offline
    Dottie --

From what I understood from our tester on the Coding/Symbol Search, Coding is usually included in the FS, not Symbol Search. You can substitute some tests for others within the same section. But since there was *such* a difference in the scores for KG, she included Symbol Search instead of Coding, feeling Symbol Search was a better indication of his abilities when taken with the rest of the tests. So only Symbol Search counted toward the FS.

I think you may be onto something with using all 8 scores ... would that have been a scoring error, then?

Mia
    If I remember it correctly they use either Coding or Symbol Search but not both. I looked it up a few weeks ago when I was trying to figure out why my son's FSIQ was lower than one would expect from his VIQ and PIQ and Dottie brought up Coding.

Add us to the list of higher sum of subscores, not so good Processing speed (Coding 13) and lower FSIQ than the original poster.

I agree the results seem off.

LMom
    On the WPPSI, both Coding and Symbol search are used to determine PSI.

But only one of them is included in the sum of scaled scores which determines the FSIQ.

I bet you're right, Dottie. Somehow, all eight scaled scores were totalled instead of seven.

Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I bet you're right, Dottie. Somehow, all eight scaled scores were totalled instead of seven.

Now I get it. You mean that the psychologist used both of the subtests and that's where 155 came from. Well, that would have made a nice difference for DS too smile

I must say that I really hate to see errors in the test reports. It's not like we really have any means to check if the psychologist was right or not. It makes me wonder how many more mistakes have been made in the subtests, you know the kind of mistakes you cannot find even with Dottie's help wink

LMom
    One more thing. It must be really hard to get Davidson requirement of FSIQ 150 on WPPSI. The total would have to be at least 121 that's equivalent of five 17's and two 18's.

We have been incredibly lucky that DS6 scored so well on the PIQ part. Mia and Cathy, your kids' scores were so close frown

LMom
    the processing speed input is doubled (2 instead of 1) and there are two more inputs from working memory...totalling 40% of the test.

Wow, that's a large percentage. Is the WISC effectively measuring something totally different for intelligence than the other tests?

p.s. If you want C-dog's wppsi scores to help you clarify, I will p.m. them(number junkiegrin)

Mia Offline
    LMom -- yeah, it was *painfully* close! Darn 14 in block design! ;(

And that *is* a lot of inputs for working memory and processing speed ... yikes.

OP: Please don't think that any of us are discounting your ds, who is very clearly gifted! But you may want to have your psych run that report one more time. smile

Mia
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM