Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A happy bit of follow-up:

I was griping to a good friend (local) about the co-op and how DS7 really liked the concept of the class, if not the execution. She's homeschooling her 9yo HG (my best guess) DS, and we got together at least weekly last year for social time. We needed it as much as the boys did! wink

She sympathized with me about the situation, and then she said, "Why don't we do some math and science stuff together? The boys may not be at exactly the same place, but we work on a spiral curriculum anyway, so it's okay if they're at different places on the spiral. And then afterward the boys can play together."

Heaven! She's a dear friend, DS7 loves her son and shares similar interests, and they'll have a great time working together. She and I have similar approaches, too, so I'm not worried about the teaching issue. We're a good fit. Really, it's genius!

So it's not a full-fledged co-op, but it's a very good set-up with a very good friend. I'm thrilled!

Sometimes life has a way of working out... laugh

Kriston
    M
    M
    Yay! That sounds like a wonderful solution, Kriston!

Val Offline
    Wow! Two pieces of good news in a row. We're on a roll today, people.

Val

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks, guys! smile And though I'm not interested in adding more kids this year, it seems like it might be something to build on...selectively.

I think maybe a by-invitation group might be a nice set-up in the future. The co-op we were in was really a cattle call for anyone and everyone, and having one person in charge instead of following the traditional co-op form, with shared duties and team-teaching, made for a pretty unhealthy situation, I think. Absolute power corrupts absolutely... frown

I think the way to do an academic co-op with HG+ kids is to start one yourself and hand-select the kids and parents for fit. Much more effective!

Kriston
    K
    K
    We just found this local HG+ homeschool co-op and it's very word of mouth. They don't require IQ scores or anything like that but suggest that your child should be working at least 3 years ahead of grade level. If you get "in", they have a probationary period. They really don't want kids that don't want to learn. I think it's a great model!

I'm actually a little nervous about that when it comes to DS7. I think last year he got very turned off by classroom environments and very turned on to being a class clown. Although, it may be a whole different story in a room full of engaged GT kids with highly interesting classes!

K
    K
    Ooops - I missed the first post! That sounds like a great set up! Sometimes things work out for the best.

Sounds like a perfect solution Kriston, that's great!

I'm happy this will work out for DS and you! smile

Kimck, I didn't read back far enough to see your post, that sounds fantastic!!!!! I wouldn't worry I bet it will work out great for you guys. When DD8 is in a really good environment like that she really pulls it out. Totally different picture of the child than if you peeked in on her class at school.

Today she told me she wasn't going to take ISAT's this year because they are "totally boring and useless". Not a good attitude I am seeing here!

Kriston Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well, it isn't perfect, exactly...

I'd like him to spend time with a group of kids more regularly. The appeal of the co-op was the group social activity, no doubt about it. But he does have Cub Scouts, soccer, and some other homeschool activities, plus a bigger cohort of buddies in our neighborhood after school (I LOVE our open back fence!), so hopefully that need will be met. We did fine with it last year.

And certainly, under the circumstances, this math meeting is DEFINITELY the better choice. Oh, SO much better! But it isn't doing what I wanted the co-op for. So that's a shame.

<shrug> Whatcha gonna do?

I'm still thrilled to be out of the co-op, regardless! smile

Kriston
    Chiming in late...

Kriston,

I absolutely would pull him out, and I am glad that you already have reached that decision. In my opinion, keeping him in the class would be giving him the wrong impression. One of the most beautiful things about homeschooling is that you are free to change tack if things are not going well. I don't care if he was learning, he was also aware that this woman did not respect him. He's far too young to have to shut up and deal when there is an easy way to get out of the class. He seemed a very sensitive young man when I met him, and I hate to think of that "teacher" crushing his spirit or making him feel that he is inferior. Grrr!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM