Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 292 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Boulder
    Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I few more details about our situation. Our son has never been tested for GT, so I'm not sure if he would even qualify. My son's current school offers no GT services and the closest school is about 10 miles from us. The issues in kindergarten ranged from talking back, bossing his classmates, not following directions, and not letting things go when he thinks he had been wronged. The only way he made it through this last year was by primarily being the teacher's helper or helping his peers with their work. I feel the school has tried to make some accommodations for our son; however, the school can only do so much without being able to any assessments. My partner thinks he'll emotionally mature as he gets older and will level out academically within a few years. He feels that the most boys make friends through playing sports and he needs to spend less time on his other pursuits (chess, rocks, coins, music). If I knew that in two years that he fit right in with his peers, I would happily wait. It just seems that our intense little boy has diverge so much with each passing year from his peers.

I find it odd that schools are willing to explore expensive testing without first trying a few cheap "assessments".

1. Give the child increasingly difficult books from the school library. At what level does the child feel challenged? How is the child's behaviour when appropriately challenged? What is child's level of motivation to work at higher level? (Estimated marginal cost: Free. Students are presumably *already* going to the library. Just pick a book off a different shelf!).

2. Borrow math workbooks from higher grade teachers. Give child increasingly difficult work. At what level does the child feel challenged? How is the child's behaviour when appropriately challenged? (Estimated marginal cost: Free).

3. Have a discussion with child about subjects of child's interest. How does child respond? What is level of child's interest/knowledge? What is child's social response to at-level dialogue with an adult? (Estimated marginal cost: 20 minutes of teacher time.)

These initiatives should be common-sense, but sadly aren't.

In your shoes, I'd parse my partner's resistance and explore private testing.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    I find it odd that schools are willing to explore expensive testing without first trying a few cheap "assessments".

I'm certain that there is some sort of convoluted thinking, or non-thinking, involved.

It could just be habit. Since it is "school" the first natural multi-purpose tool is "test."

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Well, one of the "advantages" of formal testing first for the teacher is that often the classroom teacher doesn't feel like they have to do anything while waiting for the consent-schedule-test-report-meet-plan-implement process to wind its way. Plus, it's now someone else's responsibility to figure out the student. And then, let's not forget that it keeps people like me employed!

...To be fair, I spend more time than I would prefer talking people out of testing, and it's not limited to teachers and other school personnel. Plenty of parents and outside careproviders (physicians, therapists) reach for formal testing first, too, without having a clear idea of the actionable information that they want to obtain. Don't get me wrong, I think thoughtful, thorough evaluations can be extremely valuable, but they're best executed when you know what your question is, and in the context of rich naturalistic sources of data, such as the aforementioned informal assessments.

To the OP: I believe that testing is warranted when there is a question/problem to be addressed, or when it is needed for access to resources. There have been many thoughtful responses upthread; I agree with many of them in that mutual discussion and understanding of you and your partner's expectations regarding testing, its functions, and its possible outcomes may go a long way toward identifying areas of consensus. Data informs decision-making, but it does not mandate any particular choices.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM