Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    OP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Hm. Unfortunate that there was no achievement testing.

Well, I'm feeling incredibly foolish right now. In pulling together records for a meeting with an educational consultant tomorrow, I found WIAT III achievement test results. I don't know that we and the school ever really discussed these, and I don't know why we've since only really looked at the IQ and classroom observation reports!

For what it's worth, this was done at the same time as the WISC IV above; 3 years ago at age 9. I haven't thought through the results at all, and how they may or may not provide any insight. I hope to learn more at tomorrow's intake meeting; if anyone has any additional insights, please do ring in!

What pops out of the examiner's summary is that s/he "does not think that his final [writing] production is a true indication of his overall writing skills. Of concern, however, is how [he] reacted to the task and became so 'stuck' that it impacted his performance.
    :-(
    I think we've made some progress on this front but it doesn't feel like he's where he should be.

TOTAL READING Standard Score (SS) 133; 99 %ile; Superior
    Basic Reading SS 130; 98 %ile; High Average[/b]
    Word Reading SS 135; 99 %ile; Superior
    Pseudoword Decoding SS 115; 84 %ile; Average
    Reading Comprehension and Fluency SS 130; 98 %ile; High Average
    Reading Comprehension SS 128; 97 %ile; High Average
    Oral Reading Fluency SS SS 124; 95 %ile; High Average

MATHEMATICS SS 145; 99.9 %ile; Superior
    Numerical Operations SS 135; 99 %ile; Superior
    Math Problem Solving SS 151; 99.9 %ile; Very Superior
    Math Fluency SS 117; 87 %ile; High Average

WRITTEN EXPRESSION SS 101; 53 %ile; Average
    Spelling SS 115; 84 %ile; Average
    Sentence Composition SS 89; 23 %ile; Average
    Essay Composition SS 104; 61 %ile; Average

ORAL LANGUAGE SS 146; 99.9 %ile; Very Superior
    Listening Comprehension SS 144; 99.8 %ile; Superior
    Oral Expression SS 142; 99.7 %ile; Superior

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    No worries. You're trying to track a pretty extensive collection of information. Believe me, I've been known to forget that I gave the test, let alone received results from someone else!

Other than writing, his achievement scores are very, very good, and correspond quite well with his cognitive profile.

At this distance, we probably can't pin down for sure everything that led the examiner to state that this was a low estimate of writing skills, but I think we have some good ideas. Handwriting probably fed into frustration over the writing tasks, especially those of sentence-length or longer. (Spelling appears unaffected.) I have seen "stuck" have pretty significant effects on Sentence Composition before; I would imagine he refused to complete some of the items in the sentence building portion of the subtest, because he didn't know where to start from. If the other half of the subtest scored well, that would be a pretty good indication that the underlying writing skills were more-or-less intact, even though his formal overall subtest score was lower than expected. Even so, the extended writing task (Essay Composition) is a little lower than I would have liked to see. I don't know how much of that reflects a high-quality, but overly brief, response, as those component scores are not presented here (though they must exist somewhere!).

In any case, this mostly confirms what you already knew about his historical academic experience. I don't think it changes his present substantially.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM