Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Q
    Q
    Yay! At least two someones want him and likely many more will. Congratulations to your DS - it must be so exciting! Sometimes the struggles may end up making him a stronger college student.

N
    N
    DS has been auditioning all month, and they seem to be going exceptionally well. It seems to be rather unique to audition on his particular instrument, especially for his intended major, but the interviewers seem to appreciate it. And he seems to be charming the department heads. Or at least, they call him a "very interesting young man" and send him to talk to other people in the program. His on-campus visits have to counter his poor transcript, though; this has even been acknowledged by at least one interviewer.

Whatever happens, I am so happy that the kid who could be reduced to shivers at the very thought of having to talk to someone, can walk confidently into a college interview. The kid who got such stage fright just doing his music assessment in front of his band director, can play an étude in front of 6 professors, once with an accompanist he had met only 30 minutes before. As his social worker said, "he is more DS!" One more audition to go, then it's a month of waiting for more envelopes.

In another step forward, DS will actually participate in an area-wide group competition, this one for Computer Science, next week...and even remembered to give me the permission slip!

C
    C
    Great news! So impressive- applications and interviews are tough enough, but adding in auditions is so challenging! Really, really happy to hear things are coming together for your DS- high fives all around!

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Northern Ben great news!!! I'm glad he has found a place to go next year. (Sorry I didn't see this earlier.) Are things going better this year. I hope his auditions goes well.

We are still waiting on 3 more schools. DS has so far gotten into 4 of schools he has heard from. Still waiting for my favorite. Two more weeks and then it will be decision time.

N
    N
    Bluemagic, I'm so glad to hear your son has so many options already! Is your favorite also his favorite?

Forgot to mention that the waitlisted school admitted him last month. It's not his top choice, doesn't have his preferred major, but still pretty selective, with excellent math and computer science programs and a very good reputation in the region.

Oh, and today even DS noted happily how the interviewing professors are supporting him to their colleagues. He doesn't have a lot of experience in his preferred major, and he says "but somehow they see something in me that they like!" Yes, my dear, yes they do. So glad you are letting them see it.

On the other hand, he has turned in zero labs this semester. Last year at this time I was introducing the concept of auditing instead of withdraw with an F; he still got a 5 and a 4 on the AP exams associated with that class. Not sure if I should pursue that this year.

Last edited by NotherBen; 02/27/17 05:31 PM.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by NotherBen
    He doesn't have a lot of experience in his preferred major, and he says "but somehow they see something in me that they like!" Yes, my dear, yes they do. So glad you are letting them see it.

Trying to type "Wonderful!" but can't see through tears.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    NortherBen, It's such good news to hear your son has gotten into two different schools. And that he is getting so much support from the professors he has tlaked me.

I guess he just needs to keep those grades up to the minimum he needs to graduate. I assume there is the usual must finish senior year with C's in all his classes as part of the acceptance. What would dropping a class do to his acceptances?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM