Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    yes, I found the circle thing amusing too. I agree about the hugs, he doesn't do that now. I just found it strange because he had just turned 3, cut him a little slack. I just would never have called a parent to tell them that their child was being aggressive, I would have explained what they were doing.

His preschool said they won't be doing worksheets or anything, so that is good. He likes workbooks sometimes...but I don't imagine he would be interested in coloring in the letter A. In fact he just colored in his first real coloring book picture for me this week. He always just kind of scribbled. I asked if he knew how to color in the lines, he said yes so I asked him to show me and he did an incredible job. I was amazed. He just never does it because I guess he doesn't see the point. But he is all for taking lots of time designing and writing out homemade cards for people on special occasions. Interesting.

Originally Posted by Kriston
    Yes, actually I probably should have quoted you there, LMom. blush I think "no academics is usually a much better fit than the wrong academics" is your trademark in these conversations.

Sorry to steal your line! But it's so right and so wise that I couldn't help myself! LOL!

Keep using it smile Especially if you call it wise at the same time. LOL j/k

Michelle, there still can be a little bit of academics even in the play-based program, but DS6 did fine with that. They did have a letter of the week, but it was just one day during a circle time and my son really liked coming up with things starting with a given letter for show & tell.

They had monthly themes, but then went fine as well. When they talked about space, DS made them add all the dwarf planets to the list and brought in 2 or 3 page "paper" he wrote about Solar System. 90% of the time was spent on playing, art, music, and more playing.

I hope your son will have great year this time around. As for peers that's one of the hardest things. I wouldn't be surprised if your son's scores get him accepted to DYS once he turns 5. You can then find out if there are any "local" DYS kids close by. You could also see if there is a local AGATE chapter in your area and perhaps meet people that way.

LMom
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    A little academics is fine. DS enjoys letters and numbers and always has, so small doses should be okay. singing abc's and all that would bore him to tears but that's okay. I love how your DS supplemented things on his own, that's great. Glad the school was responsive to that as well. I would love to find local kids around that are similar to him. I feel slightly isolated in that way, but he does not seem to feel alone and love playing with his friends so that is wonderful. I know that the person we plan to have him evaluated by is very involved with AGATE, so maybe she can give us some ideas as well. Thanks.

Michelle

Last edited by Mark Dlugosz; 08/26/08 03:11 PM.
    Originally Posted by shellymos
    I feel slightly isolated in that way, but he does not seem to feel alone and love playing with his friends so that is wonderful. I know that the person we plan to have him evaluated by is very involved with AGATE, so maybe she can give us some ideas as well. Thanks.

You may want to give the psychologist a permission to share your contact information with parents with similar children who ask for it. A friend of mine was given a contact phone number by her child's psychologist.

LMom
    You might also see if there's a GT support group in your area. The school might be able to direct you to one, or you might find one through the NAGC website. That can be a good way to find other GT families, and maybe you'll get lucky and find another HG+ family.

Kriston
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent