Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 367 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    I
    Your experience is not unusual. On one hand, teachers may be "too busy" due to the common practice of placing students with a broad range of abilities in a classroom.

On the other hand, is it possible that there is a vast difference in your child's attending to things which interest him (as seen in his interactions in daily life outside of the classroom... chats in the grocery store... functioning on sports team, etc) and attending to tasks which he is required to do on demand in the classroom?

aeh made such a good point in this recent post.

When attending to high-interest topics his gifts may shine, but when required to shift to and focus on low-interest topics... possibly a difficulty with regulating attention masks his gifts?

That being said, I'm glad you had him tested and have results which may help you understand, raise, and advocate for your child. smile

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    Your experience is not unusual. On one hand, teachers may be "too busy" due to the common practice of placing students with a broad range of abilities in a classroom.

There is another reason that most educators and administrators that I have dealt with pretend that my child is not gifted enough (even though I have the numbers to show them) - it is because they do not want other kids (and their competitive parents) to find out that one kid got "special treatment" in class while their kid did not get to do the fun work that the other kid did. This is a true story that happened in our case.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Originally Posted by indigo

There is another reason that most educators and administrators that I have dealt with pretend that my child is not gifted enough (even though I have the numbers to show them) - it is because they do not want other kids (and their competitive parents) to find out that one kid got "special treatment" in class while their kid did not get to do the fun work that the other kid did. This is a true story that happened in our case.
    Yes, I've heard schools use that approach. While this may have been an old example which you gave and not a current advocacy opportunity... I'll share this advocacy tip in case it may be of help. No guarantees that it will work... but it often does.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    Yes chay, that's exactly the point I was making.

Though to your (excellent) points indigo, I still think it should be easy enough to notice something unusual about those kids too, as long as one looks carefully enough. They may not develop as quickly or as well as children from more affluent and/or educated families, but the spark is still there and may still shine through, as long as you have an idea of what it might look like. I'd argue that it might be just as easy to identify a child who uses her imagination to create an elaborate world of her own, or a child who can outsmart her parents when she's three years old, as long as you pay attention.

That said, I certainly think it is a tragedy for any child to be left behind, gifted or not. Imagine what a world it would be if every single individual on the planet could reach their full potential!

The following is a completely irrelevant and personal segue but I finished before I realized:

I might point out that I was one of the lucky ones. Neither of my parents finished high school, they never once brought a book into our household (until my mother started reading the odd romance novel by the time I was in my teens), and they never once checked to see if we had done our homework (let alone reviewing it with us). And that was far from unusual in our blue collar small town.

Yet somehow, I managed to find my happy little place in the world by reading every book I could get my hands on (though it was mostly Archie comic books at the time!), hiding my marks from my friends (so they wouldn't think I was a "nerd"), and just cruising along with other interests (friends, parties, sports and boys). Once I got to university, I learned to study, got top marks, and went along my merry way. Though I can't imagine how differently it might have turned out if I'd had a LD, or motivation problem, or whatever.

By comparison, our boys are being raised in a very enriched environment. Our house is full of books, we are constantly exploring the world (whether through travel or with a nature kit around the neighborhood), and we want to impart as much knowledge as we possibly can to them. We also expose them to music, theatre, sports, etc. Gifted or not, they'll get all the enrichment we can provide for them.

And quite frankly, I don't care how well they "succeed" in life. I just want them to have a thirst for knowledge and be happy (in whichever way they define happiness for themselves). Though I must admit that I am secretly very pleased that both of them have expressed an interest in science! smile

I
    I
    Originally Posted by RRD
    I still think it should be easy enough to notice something unusual about those kids too, as long as one looks carefully enough. They may not develop as quickly or as well as children from more affluent and/or educated families, but the spark is still there and may still shine through, as long as you have an idea of what it might look like. I'd argue that it might be just as easy to identify a child who uses her imagination to create an elaborate world of her own, or a child who can outsmart her parents when she's three years old, as long as you pay attention.
    Agreed. smile

Originally Posted by RRD
    That said, I certainly think it is a tragedy for any child to be left behind, gifted or not. Imagine what a world it would be if every single individual on the planet could reach their full potential!
    Agreed. There are so many factors to tease out: nature... nurture...

Originally Posted by RRD
    I might point out that I was one of the lucky ones...
    Thank you for sharing a bit if your lived experience and success story. There is a saying that the apple does not fall far from the tree... possibly your parents inspired you to follow your dreams or instilled a strong work ethic or an internal motivation to maximize any opportunities which may be available. smile

A
    A
    Yes, I've had this experience, and my DD10 used to be like a magnet for identifying gifted kids. I don't know how she did it, because she is on the spectrum and generally crummy at noticing much about other people. But in any given environment, she somehow ends up buddying up with the most gifted kids around. (For example her boy best friend who she met on the first day of K--turns out to test HG+ also a couple years later. Which in hindsight sort of explains a lot about my interaction with her teachers that year.)

I think it has to do with intimate familiarity with a gifted child (and likely other gifted children in the family, or close friends). Teachers do not get this sort of ever day on-the-ground experience.

R
    RRD Offline OP
    OP Offline
    R
    I am starting to think that it's the OEs that I recognize first because I feel them so intensely myself.

In any case, I had the joy of coming across "Elsa" again today. Turns out, she now attends the same daycare as our kids. Happy to report that Elsa was just as magical as she was the first time I met her. Funny that she's adapted her personal introduction by using her name in combination with Elsa, presumably to make it more acceptable to adults.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM