Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 455 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello, I'm new here. I'm new to the idea of gifted adults in general actually. Anyone else fairly new with the idea, too?

I
    I
    Welcome!

If new to the idea of gifted adults, you may be interested in the SENG article, Can you hear the flowers sing? which discusses traits of gifted adults.

Hoagies Gifted Education Page has a list of resources for gifted adults.

There are also a number of high-IQ societies, populated with gifted adults. The iqcomparisonsite website summarizes the entrance criteria of several high-IQ societies.

G
    G
    Yeah I just got here. This place was recommended as one in which I could find intelligent logical thinking people to bounce some new ideas against, so here I am. I don't really know anything about what is meant here by the term "Gifted Adults" but I'm sure I'll soon find out.

I consider myself gifted in some ways, as I have experienced some things I haven't heard of anyone having experienced, along with a lot of experiences others seem to find negative, though mine were all amazingly awesome and taught me so much so fast it was like being hooked up to that learning machine in the matrix.

So needless to say I have much I want to talk about and am hoping to meet others who have experienced something similar. I can't be the only one. The experience resembles the manic side of bipolar disorder, which I believe is actually an order rather than a disorder and a good and necessary part of life. Entertaining mental extremes are to the mind like stretching muscles are to the body, healthy.

Anyway, pleased to make your acquaintance. Do you know what the term Gifted Adults means to these people?

Btw, Does this moderator approval thing go on indefinitely or is it only temporarily for new members. I don't think I can handle this for too long.

Last edited by GB_Cobber; 08/12/16 11:01 AM.

Beauty is simple logic
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Hello, I'm relatively still in the shock stage. I am wondering if there are tests for adults that can gauge whether or not one is gifted or not?

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you I have, in fact, been on those sites frequently. There is quite the load of information on them. I'm mostly looking for people to talk to of similar mentalities.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    It is nice to meet you too! I believe the term "Gifted" means a way of thinking and experiencing the world that is beside the average person. It's not so much smartness as intelligence.

I used to have that experience, that unusual "knowing" that I knew what I was doing while supposedly being taught for the first time. I've delved fairly deep into psychology as I have been diagnosed with many disorders.
    Mania is one of my diagnoses so I have an understanding. It is a time in ones mentality where things need to get done. It is a mentality where new things are tried and being active is a must. It's pretty 'crazy' isn't it?

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Welcome!

The WAIS-IV, WJ-IV COG, and SBV are all normed for adults, generating deviation IQs up to or approaching about 160 (+4 SDs). Out of pocket cost starts at about $400 for IQ only (depending on your region), and runs through multiple thousands for a full neuropsych.

Some of the high-IQ societies referenced above by indigo also offer their own qualification tests, which are generally closer to $100 ($40 for Mensa).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    G
    G
    I love those manic episodes. They're so much more than just hyperactivity, there's also hyper communication, a connection to other minds including collective minds, and also what seems to be a computer like mind, given its perfect precision, its sequential teaching style and the eloquent simplicity of its highly complex functions.

I love being in that state. It could definitely be a very scary thing when one suddenly falls into fear in the midst of such experiences, but there are a few simple tricks one can use to navigate them without fear, and thus without con-sequence.

Iv'e started a thread on that very topic in General Discussions, it's just awaiting approval. I think you might find it interesting.

Beauty is simple logic
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you! I'll look in to them. I definitely appreciate the information!

P
    P
    The moderation of each new member is temporary. This site base relatively few spammers - probably because of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:25 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/15/24 04:14 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM