Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Maladroit #225410 11/24/15 01:29 PM
    N
    N
    We never child-proofed for the human children, but rather because one cat kept getting into drawers, cabinets, etc. The magnetic locks solved the cabinet problem. One cat kept getting in there, letting the other cat in the cabinets, then closing the cabinet door - the other stupid cat couldn't figure out how to get back out.

We installed some sort of plastic hook thing on the drawers, but the cat figured out how to open the child-proof drawer hook. The drawer child-proof item must be meant for human children, not feline children. I guess we didn't read the fine print.

Maladroit #225415 11/24/15 04:50 PM
    A
    A
    NSG, I think our cats are related laugh Ours will also chew through plastic and cardboard to get what she wants, and can get out of any collar. We must need to start a gifted cats forum
    /jack

Maladroit #225416 11/24/15 05:15 PM
    G
    GGG Offline
    G
    Our kids think childproof locks are a joke. We have so many locks on the doors (we live on a busy corner) and they figured out how to just slide a chair up to the door and use the slide lock.
    I moved anything dangerous up high. I have all sharp things in the kitchen in a canister up high as well. I have locked drawers for office supplies like stapler and scissors.
    People come over and think my house is oddly empty, but they don't know what came before the oddly empty home.
    People comments on "how does he know how to open that?!" and I'm thinking, "your kids don't do this?" My kids have asked people if they have any old engines they could have to use. My oldest keeps saying (He's 4), "All I want to do is figure out how everything works." It's true. Thankful for their curiosity, but exhausted.
    Your child-proofing will continue for a while, just keeps evolving.

Maladroit #226055 12/21/15 07:37 PM
    Our child was a "scaredy cat", and just showing him the labels that had the big "WARNING" on it and telling him it would KILL him was enough to make him decide on his own to leave the chemical world to mom and dad. We were very honest with him on what it would do to him.

However...

We also went with the mag lock system. We kept the key up where he couldn't get to it. See INSTRUCTIONAL Video.....(King's Hawaiian)

Maladroit #226057 12/21/15 09:30 PM
    LAF Offline
    When my DS was little, I had a very good friend who didn't need to childproof, who didn't remove breakable items, who didn't have to worry about her child pulling up all the bricks in her handset patio…

She thought I was a bad parent because why else would my child be into EVERYTHING. wink

Maladroit #226058 12/21/15 09:51 PM
    B
    B
    For the electric sockets don't use the plugs. You can buy replacement covers where the socket closes up when the cord is removed. You have to have a plug and push it sideways to put in. I still have them installed in many of my electric outlets and my son is 16. I just never bothered to remove them.

They seem to be called Mommy's Helper Safe-Plates.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/21/15 09:53 PM.
    bluemagic #226059 12/21/15 10:27 PM
    P
    P
    When ds8 was little i did all that stuff. For ds6 i just used a thing to tie the handles of the cupboard the computer was in.

Maladroit #226064 12/22/15 09:17 AM
    N
    N
    We put in new sockets (tamper resistant electric receptacles) in our house - it is a little hard to push a cord in, but even if a child sticks a screwdriver into one slot, the socket is not active. It requires contact in both slots to activate. This was recommended by an electrician to us when our son was a baby, who demo'ed the feature with one active TR socket. So we redid all child-accessible receptacles. I believe new housing are now required to have these, but I am not sure.

We have a baby gate at the top of the stairs with an alarm - so even though our kids can operate the gate now (DD finally got the strength to push and pull the handle at 2.5), we have left it in place for now because it does keep them from rolling down when they are wrestling and it also alerts us when someone is going up or down the stairs.

Maladroit #226065 12/22/15 11:22 AM
    G
    G
    We did attempt to use some child proof locks around the house. Unfortunately, 1) we didn't really seem to need them with DS, 2) they also ended up being adult proof locks.

Maladroit #226438 01/06/16 07:46 PM
    A
    A
    I realize my post is a little late...we use the locking ones where you have to push 2 buttons at once to open. We really only use them for the dangerous areas or when I just get tired of picking up all the game pieces for the last time lol. I also use hair elastics looped between 2 knobs if I am less concerned about the safety aspect, but we do keep a lot of things accessible for him to explore. Wish I could post a video because just the other day he came out with dh's electric razor turned on and was pretending to shave his face (his face only got ever so slightly red). And then another day I found a shriveled up radish in my purse lol. He is not quite as good as his sister was, but overall good...he just likes to explore a lot

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM