Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (1 invisible), 384 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    F
    F
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    Thanks everyone. We're very happy & excited. One year at a time smile There is still more to go with getting the GIEP in place, but we (us and the Director of Pupil Services) do not see any issues. It's just a matter of waiting our turn as there is already a queue of requests. Even without the GIEP in place she's going to reach out to the GT teacher.

I'm really happy with how the meeting turned out. The Director was pointing out areas that might be issues (i.e. handwriting) and then suggesting solutions or assurances. She did this not once, but several times.

We're very fortunate. Down the road, same state, different district, it's a completely different story.

JB

JB: Allow me to pile accolades on with the others. Sounds like you had good counterparts to work with, but the tone of reasonableness and restraint you exercise - judging from your posts on the board - must have at least biased the odds in your favor. This is a good model for those of us who are still heading into negotiations.

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you.

JB

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks also gratified.

So far things had been working well in our district even when we ran into the typical roadblocks. This board has been immensely helpful in anticipating what those roadblocks might be and ways to work around them. And when appropriate giving me a swift kick in the pants about being in GT-denial.

We're off in the right direction...

Thanks again.

JB

Frankly, the pants-kicking is our favorite part! Good fun! wink

grin

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I have to say, it's not as bad as someone eyeing up your toothpick daughter and saying "Wow, she's really tall and skinny....is your husband built like that?"
    Ouch Dottie! Sorry ((Pat, Pat))

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    I insist that we introduce ourselves as Mr. Dad and Dr. Mom

JBDAd - I'm interested in that statement. I think MDs are generally more comfortable with using that title than Ph.Ds. I've never used it. WHen DS was in K, his teacher remarked how much he knows about science, w/out thinking, I said "well, his father and I both have Ph.Ds in science." I kid you not, the man rolled his eyes at me. That was pretty much the end of the conversation. I've kept my degree under wraps since then.

I'm just wondering how you do that w/out coming across as snooty, elitest and starting off on the wrong foot?

JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline
    With our school, the first time that we met, we had a written request so it was pretty easy to be nonchalant about it (signed Mr. Dad and Dr. Mom). Not to mention that the super is Dr. Super (PhD) and several people that we met with are working towards their PhDs. So we didn't have to be that blunt about it. We just made sure all paperwork was formally addressed. It probably also helps that I am not a PhD (or MD) so I can present it without seeming elitist.

JB

F
    F
    Originally Posted by JBDad
    You know how schools are generally formal with the Mr. & Mrs. Teacher or Principal ... JB

Slight tangent here, but I've noticed this - that the public school principle and teachers insist on referring to themselves as Mr. and Mrs. (actually, only Mrs., since we haven't dealt with any men yet). It's been extremely rare in my personal and professional experience for anyone, except an MD, to ask that a title be used to address them. If you use a title, in fact, you tend to come off as pompous or pandering. So I'm puzzled. Perhaps 'Mrs. Mom' and 'Mr. Dad' is the way to go.

Actually, now that I think back on it, I didn't say "Dh and I both have Ph.Ds in science" I said, "Dh and I are both scientists."
    I was just adding that to the conversation with the teacher to explain why DS knows so much about science. I was shocked when he rolled his eyes.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 08/10/08 11:49 AM.
    Fitzi - the Principal of one of our schools is Ph.D. and at the "meet the teacher" night, she was introduced as "Dr. Principal."

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM