Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I hate when parents can't get out of their own way to raise their child… I pray every day that I have the strength to see clearly and not propagate the negative patterns that may have been passed down to me.

and Aquinas you crack me up smile

E
    E
    Originally Posted by LAF
    I can see it now, DYS she doesn't act gifted, but if you give her a piece of material that girl can drape… wink
    LOL. My DD did this too--it's kind of amazing!

When I taught gifted 5th grade students--we had a talent demonstration as a project, and one exceptionally gifted girl (who wanted to be a fashion designer), brought in her fabric, notions, stapler, and tape-- and demonstrated her draping talents.

Maybe it's not DYS material (hee) but it's pretty resourceful and creative, yes?

L
    L
    I have two DYS with very, very similar scores (1-3 points apart in FSIQ/GAI; different areas of strength, though, and completely different personalities!) and I am very glad that I also decided to have them both tested. I agree with the comment that it is simply much easier to have both in the program. We have attended some gatherings - some a distance away - which would have created all sorts of logistical nightmares if only one was a DYS. Also, DS7 is very quiet at school, so having him become a DYS gives us some resources for him so we can help him develop in his own way (as opposed to DD, who is NOT quiet, so much harder to miss). wink

For these reasons, yes - do apply.

C
    C
    Some gifted kids (like my DS5) can "pass" as NT and can easily slip through the cracks unchallenged. It is important to realize that giftedness can present in many ways - including paradoxically, by not presenting itself.

Last edited by cmguy; 10/14/15 07:43 AM.
    E
    E
    I wonder, too, if you've ever spent any time around more typical kids. With my DD, I was worried sick she wouldn't test gifted, only because it would have hurt her feelings because of her older brothers. She did not seem as obviously gifted as my boys. One, she had a speech impediment and two, her vocabulary has never been as advanced (ironically--now I realize DS vocab was really more a function of his 2e than his IQ).

Other people would always say--WHOA, your dd is something else. And I'd be like, she is?

She had the same GAI as her obviously/stereotypically gifted brothers, turned out. I think it is harder to identify when you have a certain model in mind, maybe. I used to think other children might actually have something wrong (delays) when they were really bright children, because of my limited exposure to "normal."

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I do think I have a limited exposure to normal. Both my kids are at an extremely high performing school, with kids that are the offspring of doctors, lawyers and scientists- and the PTA is made up of quite a few parents who tested gifted when they were kids and that *surprise* have gifted children of their own.

I grew up in the Silicon Valley, and everyone around us were working in science in some way. I don't think everyone I knew was gifted, but they were certainly intelligent.

So yes, I probably have no idea what NT looks like. But I do know that neither of my children *perform* at the level they should be academically according to IQ so I worry that there is something wrong….I was an underachiever so I'm obviously projecting that fear into this situation.

I'm not pressuring them, I just keep looking for things to motivate them into action…

Last edited by LAF; 10/14/15 07:56 AM.
    G
    G
    LAF, my daughter had almost the exact same WISC profile. Like, scary similar. And interestingly, she doesn't always "look" that gifted to me either. She is older and has had more time to perform at things, and when I look at all the evidence, (SAT scores, writing competition wins, Explore scores, etc.) I have to admit that the tester probably didn't make a mistake. smile

I think there is something about verbal giftedness that maybe presents differently than a mathier kid. She is dreamy and intense and often unhappy. She thinks and feels a ton about relationships with friends, with us. I am a psychoanalyst and she is fascinated by what I do, always wants to listen in to juicy adult conversations that have to do with conflict, strong emotions. My favorite moment from the Summit: She was talking to a DYS parent who is a PhD English professor. She was 12. They were discussing a book they had both read. "Did you like it?" he asked. "It was okay... the voice didn't really work for me." (PhD guys stops and thinks for a minute.) "You know, you are right. The voice was problematic."

I'm rambling a bit, but you should definitely apply. My experience with two successful DYS applications -- it is the scores that matter. I don't think they keep you out if you can't tell some story about how they wrote a screenplay at 5. Just go ahead and submit!

Last edited by gabalyn; 10/15/15 05:29 PM.
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    gabalyn- you nailed it.. my daughter is dreamy and intense and said to me today "I hate my life." She said this because I had to tell her that her teacher gave me a 2 (below proficient) notice on her.. she was turning in sloppy and careless work.

She is very fixated on relationships and friendships, and is pretty jealous when it comes to her best friend. No real interest in school, other than as a location for her recess liaisons with her friends.

Thank you for your insight re: verbal kids. I do have to remind myself (when I start to think the tester lied) that I was tested and found to be gifted so why would I doubt she would be gifted?

I will apply her, and maybe I will send them a photo of some of her draping wink

G
    G
    Originally Posted by eco21268
    Other people would always say--WHOA, your dd is something else. And I'd be like, she is?
    Hah! Sounds really familiar. smile

We always figured that, at most, DS7 was a typical G/MG kid. When we learned that he tested HG and expressed our surprise about this to close friends, the response was always, "Oh, c'mon! How can you be surprised? It's obvious how advanced he is."

From what I've gathered by hanging out on this forum and reflecting upon the traits of DS, I've learned that the "middle range" of high MG/low HG can be really subtle to pick up on. It doesn't usually help that, when you read literature about distinguishing HG/EG/PG kids from G/MG kids, most of the examples used contrast a G/MG kid with a EG/PG kid (i.e., one whose profundity of giftedness is undeniably obvious). So there is a tendency to say, "Oh, my kid fits into the G/MG characteristics better" and think that you kid is more typically gifted, even though what you have is a kid somewhere in between. Ironically, there are probably more of us on this board with kids at this in-between level than there are in the higher EG/PG range. And, of course, every kid is different and uses their intelligence in different ways, so it's even harder to put a finger on. But I truly believe that the differences are there.

The profundity of our DS's giftedness is not undeniably obvious. He reached some of those developmental milestones slightly (but not drastically) early, he has always talked well for his age but not "like a professor," and he presents as smart but not "scary smart." He has started reading fluently around the time when many gifted kids do, but not at age 2

But, from what I've seen, I can tell you that his intelligence often sets him apart from other gifted kids his age.

I remember last year watching a group of gifted kids respond to the question, "If you were snow and could talk, what would you say?" Most responses were along the lines of, "Brrr! I'm freezing!" or "It's really cold outside!" His response, however, was, "Do with me what you will" (meaning he was the snow talking to a kid and expressing a desire to be shaped into something). Or sometimes he'll just construct the most amazing, thought-provoking ideas about science when it's just the two of us talking. Or he'll use his advanced abilities in social intelligence to completely blend into almost any social situation (I've seen him hang out with toddlers, kids his own age, kids slightly older, teenagers, adults... all effortlessly and fearlessly.)

So, the long and short of it is that I think it's very, very easy for many of us to underestimate our children's intelligence and attempt to justify to ourselves that the scores must be incorrect. I'm still doing this (though I'm learning to stop).

Last edited by George C; 10/16/15 08:37 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM