Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    lilswee #50653 07/11/09 12:26 AM
    J
    J
    I have no idea if they have any interesting activities, but if you want to associate yourself with the most select, I think you have to go for the Prometheus Society. They claim to go for the top 1/30,000th of the general population. See <http://www.prometheussociety.org/links/index.html> for their list of high IQ groups.

Mensa is, by comparison, wide open to almost anybody.

Regards,
    Jon

Jon Z #50660 07/11/09 06:46 AM
    C
    C
    You're right -- Mensa is one out of 50 people, so not exceedingly select. The one benefit of it over the more rigorously selective groups is that it is large enough that you may find someone you like. It does distinguish down to at least some degree of intelligence (not the entire population qualifies), but not to such an extreme extent that you will find yourself as the only local member which doesn't make for much of a social network if one is seeking to build a social network through the organization.

eta: Well, your link had me interested, so I looked around a bit at some of the other high IQ societies. I knew that I didn't have scores to qualify me for ones like the 99.9th percentiles societies, but did see that I can get into some of the 99th percentile ones and ones a bit higher than that. Have any of you ever joined anything like Intertel or any of the other more selective societies? I don't at the moment see the point for me in that Mensa alone has so few members in my area that I doubt that there would be more members of an even more selective society. I'd be curious to see what others thought if they had ever belonged, though. I'm not looking for an arrogant bunch of braggarts to hang out with and I am slowly developing a group of close friends in my area, but it has taken time since moving here a few years back. My initial thought in joining Mensa was that it was going to provide good resources re my dd, but it didn't turn out that way. There are other aspects of it that I do enjoy like the monthly magazine, though. I don't want to pay dues to something that provides little social networking, no assistance with parenting a gifted kid, and nothing beyond the minimal stuff I already get from Mensa, though.

Last edited by Cricket2; 07/11/09 07:06 AM.
    Cricket2 #50679 07/11/09 02:39 PM
    I joined Intertel once, yet found that most of the members in my local area were people I already knew from Mensa. Mensa is far superior in terms of activities, numbers, and publications. There are many people in Mensa who might qualify for these other organizations, but as far as I know, none have enough numbers to compete with Mensa regional,national, and international gatherings and local events.

As far as kids go, most Mensa activities are open to all family once a single person joins. It doesn't matter if the Mensa member is a parent or child. Therefore, most kids at Mensa events are the offspring of members, as there is no real advantage to paying multiple dues.

Lorel #50688 07/11/09 05:53 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Lorel
    As far as kids go, most Mensa activities are open to all family once a single person joins. It doesn't matter if the Mensa member is a parent or child. Therefore, most kids at Mensa events are the offspring of members, as there is no real advantage to paying multiple dues.
    That has been our experience as well. We haven't bothered having dds join b/c they can come with me if we go to anything that would interest them. Thanks for the info on Intertel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM