Hello, thanks to everyone who replied. aeh's link is great!

aeh: I find your assertion largely aligned with my observation that "MAP is not actually designed to individualize teaching. It's really for at-risk screening, progress monitoring, and creating instructional groupings." I was disappointed none the less when I realized that DD was not getting anything special at school.

But I'm still puzzled. I thought DD10's score (270 last I remember) might make sense now if the test she took was for grades 3-5. She only started to be interested in math in 3rd grade so we didn't do much additional work at home before that time. At school they use Everyday Math and she hates it; but at home she finished Singapore Math 5th grade earlier this year. But she hasn't really learned algebra, geometry (except the basics), let alone trig and calculus. But if the test she took was for grades 3-5, yep, I can see that kids could get a very high score without knowing the *advanced* materials. But after reading the reference guide in aeh's link, I'm puzzled again. The math grades 2-5 test doesn't list at all what kind of questions kids get to score higher than 230. So I still have no clue what DD did in the test. Probably not important anymore now that I realize the pitfalls of the test (small number of problems, etc that you all mentioned), and that I know the teachers weren't really doing anything different at school.

Last edited by playandlearn; 06/17/15 06:20 AM.