Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 350 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    C
    C
    We have an eight year old with ADHD- we're trying to keep him off of meds for as long as possible because of what SAHM said. I don't see getting off of them. Our son's ADHD is mild/moderate- it means good days and bad days.

I will revisit the meds question each year and not make a snap decision on a bad day or a bad week. There are a few things that would tip the balance In favor of medication, but we're not there yet.

As for potential-- sure, DS is performing below his potential. It has yet to make him unhappy-- and we're trying to work it through therapy for now. If/when therapy isn't enough and DS is struggling and not getting to where he would like to be, we'll see.

As for your question- a faster pace won't cure ADHD, but a slower pace will make the symptoms worse. We know this from first hand experience. I will involve my son in a discussion to take medication when he is older. Now, I wouldn't give meds to him unless I thought it was necessary, and if I thought it was necessary for safety and functioning, it wouldn't be his choice.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Lots of the behaviors of ADHD are still quite appropriate in a 6 year old. In fact I thought for a diagnosis the behaviors were supposed to persist past a certain age which I thought was 7.

puffin, the American Pediatric group (can't remember their name lol!... but basically the professional association that represents pediatricians in America) came out with a recommendation within the last few years that children can be diagnosed earlier.

To the OP, I am actually pretty much an avoid-meds person myself.. but was struck by your ds' comment that the meds helped.

One thing I feel very confident in is that as a parent, it's really important to trust your gut instinct. Seek out and listen to all the advice you can get, but also trust what your own head is telling you, because you are the expert on your child.

polarbear

That explains the increase I have seen on the forums. I would be worried that I had medicated a child who if left may have turned out to be a very mildly ADHD or may have been misdiagnosed. I think I would always wonder. Unless the improvement is large and life changing I would delay a few years.

B
    B
    We have 2 kids...one probably has very mild ADHD and the other more severe. We tried meds with the mild child and the side effects outweighed any benefit (he wasn't eating lunch even on a really low dose). With the other child it makes an obvious difference and even she can tell when her meds kick in, when they wear off, etc. I've timed her numerous times doing simple math problems on and off meds and there is a huge difference. With the other kid, there was no major difference (although his IEP manager claimed there was but I just didn't see it).

This is such a personal decision and it depends on each individual kid/family. Some people are clearly pro-med, anti-med but it's not black/white like that, it just depends on so many factors.

I think the research shows that the majority of kids who start meds are no longer on them after a certain amount of time, and that in many kids (like half) they no longer meet the diagnostic crtieria of having ADHD once they hit adolescence. Whether or not they had been medicated or not does not play a role in how they function later.

K
    K
    DS9 was recently diagnosed with ADHD. We have tried two different meds; the first had horrible side effects, but the second seems to be much better.

Without meds, DS can function adequately (we homeschool). But it is difficult, and he has to work hard to focus on work he doesn't absolutely love. We have had to drop out of activities because he was unable to control his impulsiveness. He would get in trouble, frequently, which led to him to thinking he was a bad kid.

He is on meds just a few times a week: on those days when he has a class, or we have an academic-heavy day at home. It makes a huge difference in his ability to focus, to listen, and to not be distracting/annoying to other people. I believe his self-esteem has improved, because he doesn't have people (kids and adults) telling him he is being annoying all the time.

I still have mixed feelings about medication, but right now I think we are making the right decision. It's a tough one, though.

T
    OP Offline
    T
    Thank you Knitting Mama. I have taken in all of the wisdom given to me on this thread and I am still confused. He has a great week and I think he is fine without meds. Then he has a rough week (getting emails at work from his teacher saying he is a mess) and I think he does need meds. Back to back weeks that are so different.

Yesterday we tried something different. We told him we were giving him his medication (but gave him a placebo). He had a much better day at school and said he was happy.

What to make of that???? I feel badly deceiving him but when we are contemplating stimulants as an alternative I rationalize that it is ok.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM