Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 339 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    I also just thought of these two book/kits that my son loves. Your son would be able to play with these unsupervised, as they're just made of sturdy cardboard and plastic.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Cars-Work...r=8-1&keywords=how+cars+work+nick+arnold

http://www.amazon.com/How-Machines-...1&keywords=how+machines+work+nick+arnold

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    what would be the oldest that would like this aquinas (typical kid oldest age and PG oldest age) do you think? (Is it babish or at a good solid elementary level?)

D
    D
    Do you think he would like the Battat Take Apart toys? I also recommend going to the thrift shop and picking up cheap items to disassemble. Maybe making him a work bench just for taking things apart so parts don't get scattered around your house?

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    what would be the oldest that would like this aquinas (typical kid oldest age and PG oldest age) do you think? (Is it babish or at a good solid elementary level?)

Typical probably 10-11ish? I'm admittedly not very good at guessing age typical activities.

PG maybe 7-8.

DS is 3.5 and is on the beginning end of being able to use the kit himself, but still needs significant assistance. I can see him continuing to enjoy it for a few years.

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Aquinas, thanks for the links to those books! They look awesome and have gone on his wishlist. smile I think someone on here had suggested 'Car Science' by Richard Hammond and we've really been enjoying that book although I'm learning more from it than he is so far (it's geared a bit older).

daytripper, we have one of the Battat take apart cars and he does like it. Another big hit (for others who have similar kids) are the mini Automoblox and Lego Juniors sets.

I'll see if I can get to a thrift store and I'll let everyone know if we hit on a super great project. I'm also thinking that some of the stuff we get in happy meal toys might work well.

Hi Readermom123,

We've taken apart all sorts of small appliances and even an older leaf blower. Keep an eye out for things offered for free in local newspapers (or on craigslist/freecycle).

BUT - one note. Don't take apart a large screen TV with a tube! At least not without doing some research first.

A friend gave us one for free, and I happened to go on youtube looking for the best was to tackle dismantling it. Turns out, the tube can retain a charge for a long time and is dangerous to open up. There were a number of very clever ways to eliminate the problem "safely". I recall a contraption where the guy slung a rope slung over a tree limb and swung the TV into an angled-upward sledge hammer to break it open and discharge it.) But none were something I wanted to tackle with DS at the time.

And don't miss the opportunity to do "great art" with the bits. We arrange pieces in a pleasing manner, super glue them to a board, and then spray paint them with bronze colored paint. You'd be surprised how pretty it all looks! This website inspired some of our arrangements: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2013/...f-disassembled-objects-by-todd-mclellan/

Have fun.

Sue

R
    OP Offline
    R
    Ooh, Sue, I love the art idea! Thank you so much. Yeah, I'd heard the same about old TV's but for example I didn't know if newer computers and flat screens have the same issues.

A
    A
    Yes, suevv, that disassembly art website is gorgeous! Great resource! Thanks for the share!

I
    I
    For take-apart fun (reverse engineering), a bicycle is a traditional project and a 4-year old would need lots of help with this... a great opportunity to talk through the names and functions of different tools and bike components.

Small wind-up music boxes are also fascinating, and the gears are somewhat similar to those found in clocks (which another poster mentioned upthread as a great item to take apart).

Kits and models may also be fun... to build and to deconstruct.

This resource also shows "how things work", although even the easier articles may be a reach for most 4-year-olds.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by readermom123
    Are there any types of small appliances that should definitely be avoided because they contain mercury/strong capacitors/anything like that?

As someone has already mentioned, avoid televisions (non-flat screen) and CRT monitors, as you can get a hefty shock.

There is lead in solder, so definitely have your kid wash his hands after handling circuit boards. I'm not sure how much, if any, would rub off onto your hands, but better to be safe.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM