Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 338 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by questions
    Maybe the question is how to bring that campaign grassroots, how to describe it, and publicize it?

Okay, I'm just rambling... I'm already far afield of my original thought to get a national sportswriter to address the issue of academics vs. sports in the schools.

Ah, no. Not rambling. Thinking out loud, maybe. smile That's good.

I love the idea of getting a sportswriter to write the article. Great idea! Nice twist.

Shall I put on my old writing tutor's hat and ask you questions? That's my usual M.O. for this sort of project.

What is your goal here? What do you want to accomplish and why?

What's you're point? What do you want to say to the reader?

What connection/contrast are you trying to make between sports and academics? Why? How will that advance your argument?

I could go on, but maybe we should start there?

We can also move this to a PM if you'd prefer. Just let me know how I can help.

Kriston
    L
    L
    That is funny and so true what you said about a nerd at 40. My son and I recently had dinner with my husband and his new boss, a 36 year old woman, who I think has to be a former gifted kid or nerd. In addition to her job in management, she teaches violin and plays 4 or 5 other instruments, looks forward to attending the medieval fair every year, and loves to read and learn new things. She uses a higher level vocabulary in her speech than most people around here. I wanted to ask her about her school experiences because she is obviously very bright, if not gifted, but I didn't get the chance.

Mia Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston

What's you're point? What do you want to say to the reader?

What connection/contrast are you trying to make between sports and academics? Why? How will that advance your argument?

I want to be in on the conversation too! I'd like to hear what you have to say about it. smile

Mia
    Okay, hopping over from the other thread... I think my comment is a bit tangential to your idea Questions, because I think your focus is on academic achievement, not necessary ability. I had alluded to perceived elitism as a barrier for special programs for gifted kids. I don't agree that it's not socially acceptable to be "smart". I think it's just the opposite. Perhaps there's a semantic difference here: I'm not talking nerdy, prodigious in an area, even high academic achievement - I'm talking overall raw intelligence. Smart as in: I'd like you to meet my friend Steve. He's really cute, considerate, and extremely *smart*. As in: My baby will watch this video and grow up to be a genius (smart). How do you get around the idea that some people see special programs for smart kids the same way as they might see special programs for good-looking kids? Of course I may be way off in my perception... crazy

Like Mia, I'm really looking forward to this conversation; please don't hide it away in PMs if at all possible! With questions' intuitions and Kriston's questions, I think we could make some really good progress.

Let me take a crack at Kriston's first set of questions:

Originally Posted by Kriston

I can imagine two different types of goal. The first is to change the image of smart kids - or smartness in general. There is a long tradition of accusations of anti-intellectualism in American culture (Richard Hofstadter's book "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life" is a locus classicus), and whether these accusations are ultimately supportable or not there's certainly a reason they occur so regularly. What this anti-intellectualism is precisely, whether it takes a peculiar form in American culture, and what if anything should be done about it are all hard questions. But at any rate it seems clear that an analogous accusation of anti-athleticism in American culture would seem ludicrous on the face of it. Exploring this contrast might be interesting. The hope would be to begin a conversation that brings the stereotype of the smart kid under attack.

A second possible goal is more concrete. Get the Gates Foundation to lobby for federal legislative reforms that require public schools to treat gifted education on the model of special education. I assume that this is something that Davidson is already committed to, maybe even focused on, but the money and prestige of the Gates Foundation could bring a lot of attention to the issue. This goal is only tangential to the discussion of academics and sports, but if we are storming the Gates then it seems like a reasonable issue to focus on.

I'm just throwing ideas around here, in the spirit of brainstorming. But I think this is a truly exciting area to be thinking about.

BB

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I don't have time at the moment to respond more than to say, I'm so happy to hear from someone named BaseballDad!

I'll figure out what I'm looking for as we go along.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    BTW, my contacts are in the sports world, not Bill Gates, LOL! (which is not to say I'd be afraid to approach him...)

It's a big playing field. Plenty of room for all the heavy hitters! grin

(Could I come up with more lame sports metaphors? No, I'll stop for now...)

Kriston
    Originally Posted by questions
    I don't have time at the moment to respond more than to say, I'm so happy to hear from someone named BaseballDad!

Thanks, Q. I really do think this is a terrific issue - thanks for bringing it up. As it happens I was a competitive athlete through college too, and I continue to have a pretty close personal connection with both college and professional athletics. But the baseball in BaseballDad belongs to my DS4!

BB

Mia Offline
    BB -- That's *exactly* what I was thinking, in regards to Bill Gates. I wonder if that's worth pursuing? Hmm ... interesting.

I'm honestly not sure what can be done about the anti-intellectualism -- but I'm happy to discuss and see what others think. smile

Mia
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by spaghetti - 05/14/24 08:14 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent