Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 199 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    We also talked to the school psychologist who will do the testing, and she was nice and knew where we were coming from but basically said that if he's advanced enough to score that well the the school will probably never really be able to meet his needs.

Definitely keep this in mind; this sounds like a person who understands that there are "gifted" children, and then there are "highly gifted" ones, and meeting the needs of the latter group may require much more than for children who are closer to normative.

That said, s/he is probably a TERRIFIC resource for you. I will keep my fingers crossed that when testing is all said and done, you have a clear path forward that will allow your child to learn and thrive. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by cmguy
    Originally Posted by yykrissykk
    I was that kid who was bored sick and never learned to study or really apply myself and later it led to disaster.

Hey! I was that kid too! (and I don't want that for my kids either).

ditto.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by indigo
    You may wish to contact the school in a positive manner and specifically request the test administration to be scheduled within a week after your child's 4th birthday. Doing so in writing, such as by e-mail, is generally recommended, as it is often helpful to have a "paper trail" of documentation for advocacy.

To clarify, do it by email, with a follow-up paper copy, if you want to be certain it will be treated as a written notification by the school. Email "counts" as a written communication in many states, but the schools don't always know that, and why make yourself go through a lawsuit that you can avoid by spending less than a dollar?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM