Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 138 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Wow, there is a lot of good advice here.

I love the idea of looking for an Engineering Open House. I could probably take him this spring to one at my local research school even though it's not likely to be a school he applies to. Just have to hope it's not one of the weekends he will be away on a Band trip.

And while I don't think my son would enjoy interviewing someone. I should ask my father who is an electrical engineer to take my son into his office for a day or two and really show him what the he does. My son has been in the office but only for a short visit. My dad's office is a really hands on place, they design and build prototypes. And this will be with an adult he is comfortable with.

I am in CA and I'm basing my information on our state schools engineering programs. In CA state engineering schools (UC & the Cal Poly's) it is easier to transfer into an engineering program from community college than from within. I am glad to hear that not all schools are like this.

I do plan to take my son on some college visits this summer. It's an effort to keep him enthused about H.S. When I asked only a few weeks ago about universities he mostly listed a few of the elite top "20" schools none of which he is position to be competitive. I think it would help his moral to show him schools that would be more realistic yet end up looking interesting. I am trying to convince him to look at a few colleges in Oregon this summer. (Lewis & Clark, U. of Oregon and/or Oregon State)

I
    Ivy Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Cookie
    It doesn't sound like this young man would enjoy interviewing someone...just a guess.

Maybe. DD is extremely tight lipped with certain people (school counselors being top of that list) that she doesn't particularly trust and much more verbal with people she's interested in. It could be that connecting with a person in a particular field is the key to understanding what field might be a good fit.

Or it could be terribly awkward.

C
    C
    I'm in Canada and I went to school a long time ago but fwiw at that time it was easier to transfer from Engineering into Science and not lose time/credits while those transferring from Science into Engineering basically started over. I believe this was due to the fact that engineering had very few elective courses (I think I had 3 in 4 years) and so many courses had prerequisites while sciences had more flexibility and people that I knew were able to count the engineering course as an elective for example. Obviously ymmv but it might be something to research if he is still on the fence between those two worlds when it comes time to apply.

Universities up here each run their engineering programs differently. My first 2 years were generic engineering and then 3rd and 4th you picked your specialty (it was changed to 1.5 years after I went through). Other schools have you apply directly to a specific program for first year. Even at those schools much of first year is common so it is often possible to switch specialties (DH did this years ago and a friend's kid just did it last year). Some specialties have more overlap than others though.

Last edited by chay; 02/11/15 01:54 PM.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by chay
    I'm in Canada and I went to school a long time ago but fwiw at that time it was easier to transfer from Engineering into Science and not lose time/credits while those transferring from Science into Engineering basically started over. I believe this was due to the fact that engineering had very few elective courses (I think I had 3 in 4 years) and so many courses had prerequisites while sciences had more flexibility and people that I knew were able to count the engineering course as an elective for example. Obviously ymmv but it might be something to research if he is still on the fence between those two worlds when it comes time to apply.

Universities up here each run their engineering programs differently. My first 2 years were generic engineering and then 3rd and 4th you picked your specialty (it was changed to 1.5 years after I went through). Other schools have you apply directly to a specific program for first year. Even at those schools much of first year is common so it is often possible to switch specialties (DH did this years ago and a friend's kid just did it last year). Some specialties have more overlap than others though.
    This is still the case in most Engineering programs I know. Easier to drop "out" of Engineering into math/science programs that get in. And it depends on the program but many school still do a generic engineering for two years and then you choose a specialty. Depends on school.

As to my DS he doesn't KNOW if he wants Engineering at all. I just think it's would be a reasonable fit and would like him to explore while in H.S. He is in the Robotics Club at school. And it's OK if he is on the fence when he goes to apply for schools because he could apply to some Engineering programs and some not and delay the decision. But if he decides he isn't interested in it at all it would be useful to learn sooner than later. Particularly as to do well in an Engineering program you need a bit of passion for it.

Just looked the local "Open House" will be when DS is out of town. But I could think about sending to the Bay Area Maker Fair this spring with his grandfather. My parents would probably even happily buy him the plane ticket.

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/11/15 02:23 PM.
    I
    I
    I just posted these resources in response to another thread, and thought they might be helpful here as well:
    The books of Elizabeth Wissner Gross. Two for parents, one for kids but you may want to read it first
    What High Schools Don't Tell You and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know,
    What Colleges Don't Tell You, and Other Parents Don't Want You to Know,
    Write Your College Essay in Less Than a Day.

These books help parents and kids see that there are many activities helpful to kids when looking forward to college, and many approaches to essay about them.

In addition to being an author, Elizabeth Wissner Gross is an educational strategist coaching for college admissions.

N
    N
    We receive a few university alumni magazines, our own and the kids of the previous residents at this address. They always have a couple of interesting articles on what alums are doing. The mag from a technical/engineering university has some especially interesting articles with work DS never even considered as a career, like the fellow who produces sound effects for video games, and the woman who works with color management in materials. They got us looking at almost anything and asking "who did that, and how?" (Every winter I tell my DS he should figure out the name of the field where he would come up with a decent road material that won't devolve into potholes.) Your high school's college counselor may have some such magazines.

And it's not just what he is interested in, but how he likes to work right now, that can point to his career. I always liked writing reports in school, but finally discovered technical writing halfway through grad school.

But perhaps the best way to figure out a career is to have a job. Not only do you learn about work you do or don't like, but you can also watch the people around you. Is DS working this summer?

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by NotherBen
    We receive a few university alumni magazines, our own and the kids of the previous residents at this address. They always have a couple of interesting articles on what alums are doing. The mag from a technical/engineering university has some especially interesting articles with work DS never even considered as a career, like the fellow who produces sound effects for video games, and the woman who works with color management in materials. They got us looking at almost anything and asking "who did that, and how?" (Every winter I tell my DS he should figure out the name of the field where he would come up with a decent road material that won't devolve into potholes.) Your high school's college counselor may have some such magazines.

And it's not just what he is interested in, but how he likes to work right now, that can point to his career. I always liked writing reports in school, but finally discovered technical writing halfway through grad school.

But perhaps the best way to figure out a career is to have a job. Not only do you learn about work you do or don't like, but you can also watch the people around you. Is DS working this summer?
    We do have some of these magazines. Most come to my DH but I like reading them. Perhaps I should put them in DS eyesight.

Not looking for job this summer. He is probably going to 4 weeks of wilderness camp. We are trying to make a decision on that this week. First session would be training to be a CIT, and second session he would officially be a CIT so I guess it's sort-of a job. Seems a bit strange since he is such a 'shy' child but I hear he is a different kid at camp. After he comes home he won't have long before two weeks of band camp and the start of school. That only leaves a few odd weeks between things where we could visit a college or two but not time for much else.

Did talk to my father and DS and we are probably on for sending DS to the Maker Fair in the Bay Area this spring. Just have to make sure there aren't any conflicts in his schedule and get him a plane ticket while they are still inexpensive. That is just something fun but it should expose him to some interesting stuff.

I
    I
    I posted these resources on another thread and thought they might be helpful here also:

Have you seen the articles on the Davidson Database regarding early college?

There are also free downloadable guidebooks, including one on early college which comes in both a parent version and a student version.

N
    N
    I'm not trying to be offensive but why are you involved in a meeting with your son's guidance counselor? I always thought that was done between the Counselor and kid. I do understanding discussing classes and future with him before hand. We're not in the situation yet but if I showed up with my daughter with a meeting with a counselor she wouldn't talk either though she 's more than capable of talking to him/her.

Originally Posted by nicoledad
    I'm not trying to be offensive but why are you involved in a meeting with your son's guidance counselor? I always thought that was done between the Counselor and kid. I do understanding discussing classes and future with him before hand. We're not in the situation yet but if I showed up with my daughter with a meeting with a counselor she wouldn't talk either though she 's more than capable of talking to him/her.

I take it that you missed the entire zeitgeist of the last 15 years.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM