Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 365 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    HowlerKarma #210251 02/04/15 04:11 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    HK, yes.

This is also why we have not tested any of ours. I know it probably sounds contrary coming from a professional evaluator, but we haven't seen any reason -to- test. We've been blessed to have had settings and opportunities that allowed our children to have their needs met as whole people, and to have the flexibility to change those settings when they no longer met their needs.

If we had been in circumstances where we had to rely on the public school system, we might have made different decisions about testing. Or not.

I and my siblings were all tested as children, most of us multiple times. I think those tests had value, as they did affect access to resources (and, in some cases, contributed to basic research). We have not yet encountered a situation where testing would either affect access to resources for our children, or contribute anything significant to the body of knowledge.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Mahagogo5 #210253 02/04/15 04:31 PM
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    I agree with what HK said, I think knowing why you need the number is very important before testing. For me, we don't have an "obviously gifted" child - that combined with a good dose of imposter syndrome from her parents AND living in the most modest of cities in modest little NZ meant that I would have the data to back up getting her needs met. I just didn't trust myself to advocate without it.

As for what LOG that is purely for DH and I, we both research the hell out of everything so this was just another bit of info to throw in the mix. It also does help put things into perspective at times to see where along the curve DD fits when other parents are comparing her to their MG or NT child. I haven't come across a PG child yet (that I know of!) Although due to the great news over here right now there has been a lot of reporting on teenagers doing amazing things in school, so I know they are out there.

Me too! I am in Nelson, where are you? Mind you ds7's teacher told me he wasn't doing anything different because of a piece of paper and if I didn't like it take to my MP. Ds7 has almost recovered from that teacher I think.

Last edited by puffin; 02/04/15 04:34 PM.
    JavaJ #210254 02/04/15 04:32 PM
    L
    L
    I've seen various definitions of what the numbers mean, so the "PG label" seems to depend to a certain degree upon who you ask and what test was used.

For us, the reason for testing our DC was ALL about access to the resources. Testing in our schools is somewhat inevitable, anyway, if you have a high achiever who needs more challenging classes. If you do not consent to testing, your child does not get an opportunity to be considered for G&T classes, as achievement is only one factor. Also, applying for resources like DYS is easier with testing in hand.

As parents, we literally had the opposite situation - placement and access to resources depended almost entirely on achievement. Therefore, we were never tested.

JavaJ #210259 02/04/15 05:42 PM
    Our DD was tested but only because we wanted to understand why she went from being a very popular leader in preK to a socially isolated 2nd grader and being 'gifted' was a possible explanation. We didn't think that DD was particularly bright but wanted to eliminate it as an explanation for her situation.

By the Hoagies WISC IV stuff our DD is either HG (FSIQ=143) or PG (GAI=158) given that the tester stated that the GAI was probably the best estimate of her intelligence) - extended norms were not used. However, using the GAI feels like cheating. Additionally, like Magog, I sometimes feel that our DD belongs in the LH tail rather than the RH one. I also think that about myself these days too especially after a tough week - LOL.

Testing was a good thing for our DD because her WISC IV and WJ-III numbers meant that when analysed further using the IOWA Acceleration Scale it was relatively easy to present our case to her SD and get her skipped a grade. Skipping a grade took her out of a toxic situation and the contrast between her pre/post skip attitude to school was night and day. It also got her into the 'G&T' program at a local state College which has allowed her to make friendships with other bright kids her age.

Overall, I feel uncomfortable with the term 'gifted' (I vividly remember cringing the first time I heard the word) let alone (M|H|E|P)G and tend to describe my DD as 'bright'.

Last edited by madeinuk; 02/04/15 06:56 PM.

Become what you are
    JavaJ #210260 02/04/15 05:47 PM
    I
    I
    Another definition of profoundly gifted is described here, in discussing the rarity of these kids in the population. This article does not include the comparison of scores between different tests, although the score comparisons are helpful to keep in mind.

Here's also a recent thread on identifying levels of gifted, especially PG.

This link includes a chart comparing: high achievers, gifted learners, creative thinkers.

puffin #210262 02/04/15 07:17 PM
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by puffin
    Me too! I am in Nelson, where are you? Mind you ds7's teacher told me he wasn't doing anything different because of a piece of paper and if I didn't like it take to my MP. Ds7 has almost recovered from that teacher I think.

sunny Chch :-)and just enrolled DD in school this morning so that will be interesting. So far so good re the relationship. My SIL sent her HG kid there and reckons she sorted them out for us...

Mahagogo5 #210265 02/04/15 09:55 PM
    P
    P
    Hope it works. Some schools are better than others. Ours is supposedly one of the better ones here but I have to be more careful about teachers.

JavaJ #210273 02/05/15 10:36 AM
    M
    M
    Puffin, just sent you a PM

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM