Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    DS7 has the same issue and he is now being sent to special ed for math to work on Khan Academy on the computer and do above-level workbooks. It's basically all independent work but since he is out of the classroom the teacher can't force him to do the "baby math". I'm not really clear on how long he is being sent out. The district very reluctantly agreed to this, at first saying that he had to stay in the "least restrictive environment" (the classroom...hahaha). DS has an IEP for being "physically impaired", I'm not sure if this plan of him going to special ed would work otherwise, but I guess my point is that he is being sent out of class to do independent work elsewhere in the building so maybe that is a possibility in your situation as well. The school offered to accelerate 1 grade for math but I said no because it would still be the completely wrong level. We are looking at other schools.

DS has tried to advocate for himself but the teacher got mad at him because he kept calling the math "baby math"...so that kind of backfired. The teacher is convinced that she is differentiating because she was giving him "logic sheets" maybe 1 time per week.

M
    M
    Is it possible that some of the sadness is just from being seven and not wanting to go back to school after a fun winter break? One of my seven year old twins was also very sad, in fact he had trouble sleeping the night before school started and kept crying. It was awful, really- I felt so bad for him. But for him it was about wanting to stay home and play. He doesn't like school either, anytime, because he wants to be in charge of his time.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM