Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I would agree that it's not crazy, but it certainly hasn't been a factor at all in our decision-making. We had no clear expectation of children who were NT, MG, HG, 1e, 2e, or anything else when we chose a place of residence (though >= MG did seem reasonably likely, and I had a suspicion that another e might be in play, based on family history). We did, however, know what the range of services was in the general area--and that it would range from good to horrific for disabilities, and better-than-average to horrific for GT (stronger services for both exceptionalities being in the same school district). We also knew that the better property values were not going to line up with the better services, due to the inability of the general public to do accurate data analysis.

Which is why we began community selection with other criteria, always reserving private and homeschooling as options.

We happened to end up in a community with a strong educational reputation, so we also get to smile vaguely when others laud our public schools.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    Based on my experience in the Boston suburbs, when you move to an area with a reputation for great public schools, you may be disappointed, but the many disappointed parents seeking more create a large market for afterschool programs, some of which, such as contest math programs, are suitable for gifted children. I have asked a few of the afterschool organizers about how to advocate for acceleration in the public schools, and they typically say that public school math classes should be regarded as social experiences. This outlook is consistent with the Serenity Prayer and not coincidentally preserves the market for afterschools.

Last edited by Bostonian; 12/08/14 06:35 PM. Reason: typo
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Based on my experience in the Boston subrubs, when you move to an area with a reputation for great public schools, you may be disappointed, but the many disappointed parents seeking more create a large market for afterschool programs, some of which, such as contest math programs, are suitable for gifted children. I have asked a few of the afterschool organizers about how to advocate for acceleration in the public schools, and they typically say that public school math classes should be regarded as social experiences. This outlook is consistent with the Serenity Prayer and not coincidentally preserves the market for afterschools.
    Sounds like someone who lives in my city, where the city is known for it's good schools yet the mayor owns one of those afterschool tutoring centers.

Last edited by bluemagic; 12/08/14 05:09 PM.
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Based on my experience in the Boston subrubs, when you move to an area with a reputation for great public schools, you may be disappointed, but the many disappointed parents seeking more create a large market for afterschool programs, some of which, such as contest math programs, are suitable for gifted children. I have asked a few of the afterschool organizers about how to advocate for acceleration in the public schools, and they typically say that public school math classes should be regarded as social experiences. This outlook is consistent with the Serenity Prayer and not coincidentally preserves the market for afterschools.

...and is excellent for the most skilled public school teachers, who can then supplement their teacher pay with tutoring/afterschooling income. Not unlike the Taiwanese system, where the entire system tacitly is designed around nonproductive warehousing during the school day (class sizes of 70+ not uncommon), followed by intensive, income-differentiated afterschooling, with instruction by largely the same teachers you had during the day.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM