Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 344 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    T
    Studies tend to exclude 2e kids precisely because they are unpredictable....

A
    A
    Originally Posted by cdfox
    And what about all the twice exceptional babies here??? These are the kids who have gross, fine, speech, visual, feeding, or other developmental delays yet end up within the 98-99.9%. How do they factor into this study?

And what about those who are twice exceptional and receive early intervention and others who do not? A lot of variables there, particularly with those on the autism spectrum.

They were probably excluded, but DD has a ton of special needs and is still PG.

DD (8) has Aspergers, ADHD, SPD, low muscle tone, and terrible vision, and didn't walk until she was 20 months old. But she was still markedly PG as a baby. She was interested in books from the first day I started reading regularly to her, at 2 months of age. She said her first 5 words in the same week at 8 months, and at 19 months, Early Intervention rated her expressive & receptive language as being around a year ahead.

She did NOT hit any physical milestones early or perform any extraordinary physical feats, and as a first-time parent, I had no idea if she was extra alert. She WAS a champion sleeper, compared to my DS. She hit her physical milestones on time until walking, which she didn't learn until 20 months. One day I remember her physical therapist (through Early Intervention), saying, "She't too busy thinking about all the ways she might fall down and hurt herself." She has definitely muscle tone and balance issues, but she still definitely thinks herself out of doing things.

DD & DS both did a number of baby studies through the University of Washington, through the Institute for Learning & Brain Science and some other research departments. I wish, in hindsight, they gave you info on your kid's results and a copy of the final paper, because now I wonder if you could see a correlation with IQ or achievement with those early studies. But alas, they don't.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I began reading to my DD each night while she was in the womb, and I always began by saying her name twice, in a particular, sing-song way... We were still in the delivery room... I said her name in that sing-song way. She immediately stopped wailing, and locked her eyes on mine. I was rocking her back and forth, and as she moved, her eyes moved to stay with me. I had read that she shouldn't be able to track moving objects with her eyes for weeks, so that was a shocker.

My dad and DH have a simliar story for me and DS.

1. My birth was a medical emergency, and I was inconsolable. After a few minutes of my wailing, my dad demanded to be let into the nursery to comfort me and said, "Aquinas, this is your Daddy." I immediately stopped crying and accepted his finger to suck on while we waited for my mum to be prepared to see me, all the while watching him intently as he cradled me.

2. DS' birth was also a medical emergency (for the same reason), and DH provided kangaroo care for DS while I came out of anaesthetic. Because DH read the same set of stories to DS every night while I was pregnant, he decided to recite a story to DS. DS stopped crying and accepted comforting on dad's warm chest. DS was apparently transfixed with DH's face and seemed to anticipate the funny parts of the story with excitement.

I love my gentle gentlemen!

Aquinas, that is a very sweet pair of stories.

One of my sibs tracked immediately at birth. My #2 also was soothed on hearing #1 sing, within hours of birth (#1 sang non-stop to mama's belly-button during #2's gestation). I suspect, based on the respective birth circumstances, that tracking and alertness at birth have a great deal to do with the use of (or rather lack thereof) anesthetics during the birthing process.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    I
    I
    DD 2 3/4 from the moment she was born could see clearly. During the entire hospital stay she looked around the room. I know everything that I have read states early infants can't see clearly, but she most definitely could. She would track movements across the room.

When we brought her home one of the first tricks she learned was to get her arms out of the burrito wrap, followed by not letting us wrap her up like a burrito. She spoke her first understandable words at an age that I feel uncomfortable to state. She used the correct words for what she wanted at a very young age, again I do not feel comfortable saying the exact age because it seems almost impossible.

At 5 months she knew her chore was to bring the mail in and give it to her mother for allowance. Of course I carried her to and from the mailbox. She did have the dexterity to put the coins in her bank by herself. She fully understood the cause and effect of Bringing in the mail meant getting to put coins into her piggy bank. Her favorite pass time was to have daddy carry her around showing her the world. At that age she seem almost scary advanced.

Now, even though she does still seem advanced, she does not seem that advanced, except on theses certain occasions when she says something that is absolutely brilliant that reminds me, oh yeah she is smart.

Val Offline
    I think this thread has hit a resonance frequency of parental bragging.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    I expect that this is because, while the research on reliably assessing intelligence in infants as a class is rather open to debate, we all know exactly what our own infants were like. smile

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    Aufilia - we've got a similar situation. My 2e pg ds8 was born with with special needs - including severe sensory processing, hypotonia, dyspraxia, and gross/ fine/ speech/ visual deficits. And yet, at the same time, ds was a very alert baby with a head on a swivel sucking everything in.

IF parents or professionals just focus on those motor/speech skills then a child like Helen Keller would never be identified as gifted. And I could list many, many others who would fit into this category. Herein lies the problem for 2e parents.

Super advanced motor skills in babies may be an indicator of a super high IQ or intelligence, but it's only one indication and doesn't seem to apply to some 2e kids. This can become a huge problem for 2e parents because their kids have delays and/or deficits and yet their brains/bodies seem to compensate or overcompensate for these delays and deficits in spectacular ways.

Please let's not forget the number of 2e parents who do not fit into this category and still have children who are gifted but with special needs.

M
    Mev Offline
    M
    My kiddo has dyspraxia with a left sided hypotonia but we still knew he was bright. I just didn't really understand he was gifted until much later. We figured out the dyspraxia first.

The only early indicators we had of giftedness were...

When he was 8 months he looked at me and said 'cock a doodle doo' and 'where dada go?' (Then he didn't speak again for months.)

And he smiled at 2 weeks.

He started interacting with books at 4 months. Turning pages and seeking books out independently.

And he was just super alert. People commented on it all the time. He NEVER napped. OMG. NEVER. Didn't sleep much at night either.

I remember the daycare people told me one day the babies were sitting at the table together and all crying except for my kiddo (4 mos). They said he was gaping at the other babies like 'WHAT is wrong with you? This is awesome!' He loved daycare. Loved the stimulation.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM