I just wanted to update this for those for anyone who might have the same issues. After a meeting with the principal and the teachers, we determined that they were not willing to do anything to differentiate her reading curriculum. This was a kid who mystified and baffled her K teacher when she was was clearly reading and fully fluent on a 5th grade level at the beginning of her K year. It made no sense that they kept insisting she had these large comprehension gaps that no other educator had ever noticed.

We decided to see what our options were and happened upon an amazing small charter school in their second year. They are small, ungraded primary classes (1-3) and a project-based curriculum. From day one, my kid showed up and did great. She enjoyed working with the third graders in reading and being allowed to work at her own level. We just got her most recent MAP scores back and she gained big in reading and math. She's now mid-6th grade for reading, which is a full grade gain on the MAP since the fall test.

I'm happy for her and we love our new school. For me, the moral of the story is to never stop looking for a solutions.