Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 398 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    R
    R
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    As a math Neanderthal...

That brings up another worthwhile point... None of your options are purely self teaching. I would consider Singapore, MEP, and Miquon to all be conceptual math curriculums. One is Asian, one anglo-hungarian, and one constructivist new math. They all take a slightly different approach that is different from traditional US texts. I have no idea what is or was trad in NZ. Whatever you chose, I would try to understand and follow its approach.

Singapore is very big on number bonds, mental math, and bar models. Some parents ignore this and "supplement" the books with more traditional algorithmic instruction at an early age... I think this misses the point. The mental math elements are a huge strength of the program... it doesn't matter that the standard algorithms are introduced in year 2 in SM and year 3 in MEP. The number sense built prior to that is a huge strength of the program. I don't think you need the expensive Home Instructor Guides(HIG) but taking some time to understand what SM is trying to do would be worthwhile.

Many people like Liping Ma's "Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics". I wouldn't buy it, but it well worth reading if you can get if from the library.

My DS started Dreambox around 3.5. It requires no reading because all the instructions are read by the characters in the program. It worked really well for my visual learner and I highly recommend it for the lower grades. We used an ipad, though, and I think that was key.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    I am starting to realise I might not be quite as thick at maths as I always thought (poor schooling...) so I'm confident in teaching the math as expected. I really want her to have that broad appreciation that I just don't have - so looking at living math and SM now.

We did the sample lesson on dreambox and it won't suit. It didn't feel intuitive enough for dd to follow, and being VS the spoken instructions were to fast and not clear enough.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM