Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 331 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Cathy A
    I think it is important for teenagers to start taking charge of their learning regardless of the teacher. This is an important skill for college and grad. school. Maybe the teacher is lousy, but kids can learn to follow the rules and get the grade while doing their real learning.

Cathy--I love this! I really need to save this to include in lecture to DS. Adolescence and hormones are no excuse! In truth, that's what I did when I had some poor teachers back in the dark ages.

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Dottie,

About testing out--yes, I think that's the case for some courses (already 2 down (English 9 and Alg2 would have been good ones to test out). They may develop a test for Alg 2 testing out (not as simple as it sounds).

C
    cym Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    [quote=ValHave you asked them (perhaps in writing) WHY the online classes don't qualify? Sometimes you can get what you want this way if they can't supply a bona fide reason.
    [/quote]

Yes, I intend to ask whether there's a list of approved providers of online and community college courses and why they won't give credit for the summer institutes with 115 seat hours of classroom instruction (certainly surpassing most college courses) from Duke Univ or Johns Hopkins. The counselor said that since they wouldn't transfer as honors or AP level classes, the credits would dilute his GPA, which people who are interested in valedictorian status would be concerned with. I am not sure if DS cares about this, so I'll have to query him when he gets back. Anyway, the principal took the easy road and said he didn't know anything but I should talk to superintendent so I will keep asking nicely until they give me a satisfactory answer.

It's not that essential for DS13, but it's something I need to investigate and establish for the next 3, who will really need some accommodations or something else.

Does anyone ever feel sly leverage when dealing with public schools because we have kids that can help their NCLB numbers? Or is that just silly?

Originally Posted by Cathy
    Maybe the teacher is lousy, but kids can learn to follow the rules and get the grade while doing their real learning.

Wanted to respond to this but I need Dottie ( I mean Cathy) smile to explain this sentence please, in the context of dealing with a bad teacher. I am lost smile

Last edited by Ania; 07/15/08 05:07 PM. Reason: Getting confused here...
    I am not an educator so I do not know for sure, but from what I understad NCLB actually does a disservice as far as G/T go.

Our school post as % of kids who are at a proficient level, above proficient or below proficient. So having a kid that scores 100% or close to gives them the credit for only that one kid.
    Iowa test are different, as they look at the whole class as a group, so a high scoring kid brings a percentage up.

incog, we have similar legislation and funding for dual enrollment classes/concurrent enrollment, but the district has decided to reserve it for jrs & srs.
    WTF

Argh. This is all so depressing. Intelligent kids are the future of this country and our school system actively squanders them.

Val, I feel ya sister! I blame the elected representatives that write the legislation. But it's kind of a catch 22. Today, being a politician is a thankless job. Who, but an idiot, would dare pursue it.

On the topic of teachers, I think it is important for teenagers to start taking charge of their learning regardless of the teacher. This is an important skill for college and grad. school. Maybe the teacher is lousy, but kids can learn to follow the rules and get the grade while doing their real learning.

Cathy, younger kids too. These are the types of skills I see my children benefitting from and the reasons I haven't yanked em yet.

Have you asked them (perhaps in writing) WHY the online classes don't qualify? Sometimes you can get what you want this way if they can't supply a bona fide reason

Yes, definately, when stonewalled it is appropriate to allude to litigation. Most people are self-serving and wouldn't want to justify their decision making in a court of law. I know I would give what you wanted if you put something in writing and sent it to me certified mail. It's a good thing you don't have my address. Who knows what you could squeeze out of me.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by cym
    Does anyone ever feel sly leverage when dealing with public schools because we have kids that can help their NCLB numbers? Or is that just silly?

I expect they like the higher scores but aren't willing to go out of their way for single kids. And of course, if they accelerate them via grade skipping, they may perceive a risk of lower scores on the test at the higher grade level.

My kids go to a private school, but we looked into public schools last October when the private school wasn't working. The principals I contacted weren't interested in a grade skip (one said "Forget it" without even meeting my son). They gave me the "in-class differentiation" line and one told me they might be able to accomodate a one-year acceleration but "if you're talking about algebra in 2nd grade, forget it" (and my son started doing algebra in February of 2nd grade).

We found a new private school that groups by ability. I'll report on it as the year goes by.

Val

Sorry Dottie, I quess I was mesmerized by your green avatar smile
    Have edited the last post. Waiting for Cathy to respond.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by incogneato
    Yes, definately, when stonewalled it is appropriate to allude to litigation. Most people are self-serving and wouldn't want to justify their decision making in a court of law. I know I would give what you wanted if you put something in writing and sent it to me certified mail. It's a good thing you don't have my address. Who knows what you could squeeze out of me.

Where's the rebel base???? Certified letter on its way.

Val

Originally Posted by Val
    My kids go to a private school, but we looked into public schools last October when the private school wasn't working. The principals I contacted weren't interested in a grade skip (one said "Forget it" without even meeting my son). They gave me the "in-class differentiation" line and one told me they might be able to accomodate a one-year acceleration but "if you're talking about algebra in 2nd grade, forget it" (and my son started doing algebra in February of 2nd grade).

I think we have all BTDT smile
    I wonder sometimes why this attitude is so common, almost the only one you are going to encounter, at least initially. I wonder how many people request changes based on the fact that their kid is "so smart" versus number of parents with kids who have real numbers behind them. Any guesses?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM