Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 225 guests, and 33 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #202021 09/26/14 08:00 AM
    M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    I was just curious - is the Kindergarten year in the USA compulsory?

Until recently, here in South africa, a Grade 0 or K year was optional and many kids only started school at grade 1. (although in the private sector many many schools start with grade 000 (age 3 turning 4)

Now this Grade 0 year has just been made compulsory. So I was wondering if it's compulsory there in the US (and in other countries too)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    P
    P
    Both of my DD skipped K (but they had to take the test) and I am sure many in this forum. OTOH, many deserving kids could not skip due to ignorance of the school administartors or the school district policy.

B
    B
    Depends on your state. I know in California K is not compulsory although it's uncommon to not send your kids for K. But each state makes their own rules about this and about the what age cutoff. And because of this there is a age cutoff for 1st grade as well. It's a bit confusing even for us in the states.

Last edited by bluemagic; 09/26/14 08:16 AM.
    B
    B
    I think here in my state it's age 7. So no, K is not compulsory. A lot of districts offer half-day K, and others offer full-day K, and some give parents an option, charging them a fee to enroll full day rather than part day.

Kindergarten is not federally mandated. First grade is. However, each state or even each city/town may have regulations or requirements if you plan to homeschool or enroll your child in private/public school for first - depending on the cutoff age.

C
    C
    Okay...how's this for fun...

It isn't compulsory to attend at that age, but if you try to then enroll as a first grader the following year (as is fully in your right) they have the right to evaluate your child during the first nine weeks and put him or her in K if they don't pass muster. If they do fine in first, they are okay with it.

Last year I volunteered at my son's school in a first grade room a few times and really had to babysit this little girl she was EVERYWHERE! Hot mess. She needed individual attention for every single minute. Went back the next week and she was in K. They used the fact that she didn't go to K the year before (which is okay) and was unable to function in first grade without one on one help and they gave her about six weeks to settle in.

M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Yoh Cookie! That's harsh.

Thanks for the feedback smile So it's like it was here in the middle - upperclass (for lack of a more socially appropriate term - kinda expected and normal but not officially mandated.

thanks smile

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Cookie: Another version of "fun" is when you enroll your 5yo in K, give them a few weeks to see what she's capable of, confer with the K teacher who agrees that your DD would do well to skip to first, start the policy-driven process to make that a reality, and see the school and district stonewall.

A
    A
    Education is within provincial jurisdiction, and there is significant variation within the Canadian federation. Mandatory enrollment ages range from age 5 to 7, with most provinces having a December 31st grade cut-off.

BC-- 5
    Alberta--6
    Saskatechewan--7
    Manitoba--7
    Ontario--6
    Quebec--5
    Nova Scotia--5
    New Brunswick--5
    PEI--6
    Newfoundland--5

Quebec and Ontario offer a version of junior kindergarten, which begins at 4. Ontario recently implemented full-day kindergarten, after offering half-days to 4 year olds. This has been perceived as a substitute for subsidized public daycare, rather than a beginning of academic education.

It's interesting to see that the Prairie provinces--Saskwatchewan and Manitoba--have the highest enrollment ages. Perhaps this is reflective of the farming legacy of the region, where children were historically involved in family farming.

Overlaid over this are a pastiche of homeschooling regulations, ranging from almost unregulated (Ontario) to tacitly outlawed (Quebec). For full disclosure, we are leaning toward homeschooling DS when he turns 4, playing 5 by ear, and potentially enrolling him in a private gifted school at 6. Of course, we all know how much--and how quickly-- "optimal" can change for these children!

Last edited by aquinas; 09/26/14 09:34 AM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Q
    Q
    K is only compulsory in the states that have legislation to that effect. However, I know of a number of states that do not have compulsory K but still have very strong pressure to enroll all 5-year-olds in K out of concern that they would not be ready for 1st grade as 6-year-olds.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM