Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Wren
    I found that many gifted schools do not offer skipping years but do offer accelerated math and in high school connections to take courses at universities around them.

I am not sure why that is the case.

Ren

Well, this is a 'basic school' - is that English? I mean, it is only primary education, so connection to university are too early, even for PG, imho.

The whole GT school look to us rather rushed, and I have the gut feeling that they are expecting lots of 'Hermione Grangers'.

Anyway, the local school looked like the best option by far. I only hope it is true,,,,

E
    E
    Isa,
    After all of your struggles and the difficulties your daughter has had to face at her current school, it was wonderful to read that you have such a promising option for next term!

K
    K
    Let's start with honesty.. haven't read the whole thread.. so apologies if this was covered.

our gt school was a 60-90 minute round-trip last year. 70 minutes pure drive time then the pick up time cause they don't seem to fall from the sky into the car.

the upside - education was a great fit. being with other gt kids was AWESOME. downside - we got home an hour later than all the neighborhood kids. and i had to ignore all the post school crazies, make dinner, and then work on getting them all to bed.

it does put a damper on your day and i only had to do it one way. if it was still an option i'd do it again (and be crabby about it still) but if I were looking at 2 hours round trip - no way. for me 35 minutes there and then having your kid trapped to talk to you for 35 minutes home had its advantages. but for me, i don't know that i could do it if it took longer. and frankly, i don't know that i would have decided in its favor if i really knew what the drive would feel like day in and day out. any chance for a carpool. or even - we did a daycare option that would bus her in the morning for the ease of only driving once.

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Kickball:
    The problem was that we did not like the GT school and would not put DD into it even if it was round the corner, On paper, it look great, but de facto....

En fin, our decision has been taken and DD will go to a public school and will skip a grade, and if things go well, she is expected to do two grades in one year. This ones depends on whether DD overcomes her underachievement.

Very good outcome! I'm sure once DD is properly challenged she will be inspired to show her talents!

Isa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Actually, she does it in areas where she has no clue what a child of her age is capable or not....

Now I have to go to bed...

I am glad you found a good fit and that you like the teacher. You must feel much better having made the decision.

LMom
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM