Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    P
    P
    Sorry, I wasn't trying at all to use the term as accurately as I can. I was simply trying to say that the usual arguments that teachers give to advanced students (the playing field will level by 3rd grade) is because of the lack of differentiation, and should not be the reason for a lack of differentiation. Please ignore my previous comment (and this one as well).

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    There is a sense in which aspects of reading level out for the majority of the population. That is, decoding and fluency skills essentially plateau at the late middle school/early high school level because they are easy enough cognitive tasks for the majority of the population to grasp (including some cognitively quite low-functioning individuals). (And one of the reasons derived grade equivalents are a problem on NRT.) Vocabulary and comprehension can continue to build beyond that level, of course.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    M
    M
    "Evening out" is an extreme oversimplification of the value of early reading. Early fluent readers (who enjoy excellent comprehension) can enjoy literature at a (much) younger age, as well as teach themselves any nonfiction topic that is of interest to them (and I've personally seen my kiddos run with this one; there is an unbelievable value to this skill). It is NOT simply a matter of reading - it is a matter of access to knowledge and wonderful stories. Meanwhile, reading strengthens vocabulary skills, as well as skills that will later be used in writing, spelling, etc.

Yes, other children eventually learn to read, but the early readers have undeniably been granted early access to an amazing world of stories, information, and unfettered LEARNING.

I completely, totally agree with this. Reading strengthens a lot of academic skills needed in later elementary years/middle school/high school etc. I have seen kids who are just disruptive (doing anything but reading) during quiet reading time, and other kids who are so into their books that they don't even notice the disruptive kids. It annoys me when some teachers say reading evens out -- I think they just focus on the reading mechanics (reading, comprehension, answer x number of questions about the book) and don't encourage reading, because it is fun, informative, and is a wonderful world with imaginative stories.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by playandlearn
    Sorry, I wasn't trying at all to use the term as accurately as I can. I was simply trying to say that the usual arguments that teachers give to advanced students (the playing field will level by 3rd grade) is because of the lack of differentiation, and should not be the reason for a lack of differentiation. Please ignore my previous comment (and this one as well).

That's cool, I was thinking there was some underlying semantical thing that confuses the issue. But I get the Harrison Bergeron aspect of what you're saying now.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aeh
    There is a sense in which aspects of reading level out for the majority of the population. That is, decoding and fluency skills essentially plateau at the late middle school/early high school level because they are easy enough cognitive tasks for the majority of the population to grasp (including some cognitively quite low-functioning individuals). (And one of the reasons derived grade equivalents are a problem on NRT.) Vocabulary and comprehension can continue to build beyond that level, of course.

This is my feeling about it as well. Fluency like arithmetic has a fixed level which we expect almost everyone to reach. So yes after a certain point the age at which reading starts loses significance. If however, early reading is just a sign of intelligence then obviously by the point that occurs the child will have moved onto other more significant achievements that will be noticeable.

U
    U
    Of all the readings in the 2nd post, I found the ERIC article most useful. The IQ levels in Table 1 are interesting -- basically if you know nothing else about a kid other than they are reading before K, you should revise your estimate of their IQ from 100 to 130. I.e., there is big news in the fact that a kid is reading early.

One of the other things I took from it is that *conditional on IQ*, reading levels mean revert, but that this isn't true unconditionally. In other words, if you take 2 kids with 130 IQs, where one is reading at K and one is not, there will be some convergence in their reading ability. But if you compare an early reader with a 130 IQ with a typical non-early reader with an IQ of 100, the former kid will still be well ahead of the latter in a few years. This all seems very intuitive.

It is possible that this research result got garbled by the K-12 community.

22B Offline
    If you measure height with a yardstick, then height plataeus and evens out because almost everyone reaches 3 feet eventually. The same is true if the school builds the ceiling 3 feet above the floor.

U
    U
    The IQ levels in Table 1 are interesting -- basically if you know nothing else about a kid other than they are reading before K, you should revise your estimate of their IQ from 100 to 130. I.e., there is big news in the fact that a kid is reading early.

I've always been of the opinion that it means nothing negative about a child's IQ if he/she is NOT reading early, but it probably means something positive is he/she IS. There did seem to be a bit in that article about kids w/o high IQs who were preocious readers, but not a lot (I skimmed). I have not met a child who was a self-taught, fluent reader before K who was NOT gifted, although I am told they are out there.

U
    U
    (When I say fluent, I mean fluent. Not Biscuit or Frog and Toad.)

D
    D
    What a great discussion. My DS, now a sophomore, was asking how he learned to read. Apparently, one of his current HS teachers knew him when he was in pre-K and remembered how DS used to carry a book with him everywhere.

The teacher asked my son who taught him to read so young, to which DS replied, "Nobody -- I just started reading." That's how we always explained it to him. "And then one day you were reading -- straight up reading."

Skimming some of those articles above seems to validate my suspicion that while our reading to him regularly certainly helped, he is the one who put it all together.

One of my absolute favorite video clips is where he's reading the instruction booklet from CandyLand. He was barely three at the time and read straight through without a hiccup -- and without having ever seen or heard it before. Something like, "CandyLand is a game for small children, many of whom are too young to read." He reacted right away to the irony. (And he was also tickled to death by the "whom" for some reason.)

The school staff that go on & on with the "they all level out" nonsense drive me up the wall. If the OP is still here, DON'T let them get away with that!

Dandy

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM